Sophomore guard Michelle Bevan defends against an opposing player. Bevan scored a career-high 15 points against Carnegie Mellon University (Pa.) this past Sunday. | Courtesy of Emory Athletics.

The Emory University women’s basketball team bounced back from three consecutive road losses last weekend, with a pair of home nail-biting conference victories over Case Western Reserve University (Ohio) and Carnegie Mellon University (Pa.) last weekend. The Eagles’ record is now 10-6 on the season, 2-3 in University Athletic Association (UAA) play.

“[Our losses came from] two bigger and better teams. This past weekend, it was just nice to be home. Found a way to gut it out and win,” Head Coach Christy Thomaskutty said.

The Eagles began Friday’s game neck-to-neck with Case, a team that was 7-7 at the time. Just over ten minutes in, the Spartans maximized their lead a pair of layups from freshman guard Kara Hageman, bringing the score to 16-8, Case. An Eagles’ scoring rally from guards sophomore Shellie Kaniut, junior Khadijah Sayyid and sophomore Fran Sweeney brought the deficit to two points with six minutes left in the half. The remainder of the first half was back-and-forth, with two three-pointers giving the Spartans the edge on a 34-29 score.

At the start of the second half, a series of points from sophomore guard Michelle Bevan and freshman center Dumebi Egbuna brought the Eagles within one point of the Spartans. Eight minutes in, a three pointer from Kaniut followed by a jumper from point guard Whitney Carmack gave the Eagles the lead, and brought the score to 42-40. The two teams continued to battle, and two successful Spartan free throws gave Case a 58-57 lead over the Eagles with 3:45 remaining on the clock. Sayyid quickly sunk a three-pointer, however, and the Eagles held their lead until the final buzzer, finishing 65-62.

Sayyid continued to lead the Eagles in the game, sinking 18 baskets and grabbing a game-high 11 boards. Sophomore guard Shellie Kaniut and Egbuna added 10 and 13 points, respectively.

“The difference was just staying tough and disciplined and making plays at the end of the game,” junior guard Ilene Tsao said.

Against Carnegie Mellon on Sunday, the Eagles started off again extremely close, but a nine-point rally from Egbuna, Bevan and junior forward Sarah Arington in the final three minutes of the half left the Eagles with a 29-22 lead.

The Eagles’ lead reached its peak at 11 points with 12:03 on the clock in the second half. The Carnegie Mellon Tartans persevered, however, and brought themselves within two points, with a score of 52-50, with just over three minutes remaining in the game. Bevan answered by drawing a foul and adding two more for the Eagles, followed by a layup from Egbuna and another from Bevan.

With 51 seconds on the clock and a four-point Eagle lead, Tsao drew two fouls, split by a Tartan three-pointer, to secure a 62-57 victory.

In the game, Bevan and Ebunga each scored 15 points, a career high for both.

“[Sayyid] has led us so much in scoring and rebounding this season,” Thomaskutty said. “[Ebunga and Bevan] found the creases and got off rebounds and just score when needed.”

The emergence of Bevan and Ebunga as major threats could be the catalyst the Eagles need to finish off the season strong.

“I always want balance. You see teams really keying on [Sayyid],” she said. “When things were bad, we sat back and watched her do that. It was refreshing to see this yesterday.”

The Eagles will travel to Brandeis University (Mass.) and New York University, the only UAA teams they have yet to play, this weekend. They will then take on each of the other five times once more before the end of the season.

Thomaskutty described the UAA standings as a log jam.

“We’re chasing everyone right now,” she said. “It makes every game a big one.”

Former Editor-in-Chief | Zak Hudak is from Pittsburgh, Pa. and majored in Classics and Philosophy. He attended The Hill School, a boarding school outside of Philadelphia, where he earned varsity letters in track and baseball and was the Sports Editor and then Editor in Chief of The Hill News. While at Hill, Zak was mentored by former Washington Post Editor and Copy Chief of two Pulitzer Prize winning teams, Tony Reid. Zak Joined the Wheel's Editorial Board his freshman year as Asst. Sports Editor.