the Editorial Board

Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas

Opinion Editor

Ben Thomas (23C) is from Dayton, Ohio, majoring in political science and English. In addition to his roles at the Wheel, he is an Interdisciplinary Exploration and Scholarship (IDEAS) Fellow, a Center for Law and Social Sciences Undergraduate Fellow, a member of the Ethics and Servant Leadership Forum, the Emory Undergraduate Research Journal’s head social sciences editor and an associate justice on Constitutional Council. In his free time, he enjoys cross-country running, playing bass trombone, experimenting with new oatmeal recipes and rewatching The West Wing for the fourth time.

Contact Thomas at [email protected].

Brammhi Balarajan

Brammhi Balarajan

Assistant Opinion Editor

Brammhi Balarajan (23C) is from Las Vegas, majoring in political science and English and creative writing. She is a member of the Editorial Board and her column, Brammhi’s Ballot, focuses on national politics. Outside of the Wheel, she’s involved with Emory SaRaas and Matriculate.

Contact Balarajan at [email protected]

Sahar Al-Gazzali

Sahar Al-Gazzali

Sahar Al-Gazzali (23C) is from Laurel, Maryland, double majoring in international studies and Middle Eastern and South Asian studies (MESAS). In addition to her roles on the Editorial Board for the Wheel, she is also the co-managing editor for the Emory Journal of Asian Studies, an alumni representative for Arabic in the U.S. Department of State’s National Security Language Initiative for Youth, the office assistant for the MESAS department and the government documents analyzer for the Robert W. Woodruff Library. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, yoga, baking gluten-free desserts and watching international films.

Contact Al-Gazzali at [email protected]

Viviana Barreto

Viviana Barreto

Viviana Barreto (22C) is from Covington, Georgia, majoring in sociology. Her hobbies include drawing, writing and yoga. In her free time, she writes for the Wheel’s Editorial Board. Barreto plans to become a sociologist.

Contact Barreto at [email protected]

Rachel Broun

Rachel Broun

Rachel Broun (23C) is from Carrboro, North Carolina, majoring in anthropology and women’s, gender and sexuality studies. She writes for the Editorial Board. Outside of the Wheel, Broun often finds herself doing crafts, working for Theater Emory and watching “The Real Housewives” series.

Contact Broun at [email protected]

Kemal Budak

Contact Budak at [email protected]

Jake Busch

Jake Busch

Jake Busch (22C) is from Brookhaven, Georgia, majoring in history and English and creative writing. He also writes for the Wheel’s Editorial Board. Busch enjoys playing basketball, reading about and debating politics and trying different kinds of ice cream. He plans to become a civil rights attorney.

Contact Busch at [email protected].

Sara Khan

Sara Khan

Sara Khan (23C) is from Fairfax, Virginia, majoring in neuroscience and behavioral biology and minoring in English. In her free time, she enjoys reading, binge-watching Netflix shows, playing tennis
and sleeping.

Contact Khan at [email protected].

Demetrios Mammas

Demetrios Mammas

Demetrios Mammas (23C) is from Atlanta, Georgia, and is majoring in political science and psychology. When he’s not writing op-eds and reviews for the Wheel, he can generally be found working toward improving residential life as a member of the Residence Hall Association or volunteering at the nearby Veterans Hospital and Emory’s Wesley Woods Senior Living facility. In his free time, he enjoys playing video games, learning languages, being a Netflix fanatic, going kayaking and practicing guitar.

Contact Mammas at [email protected]

Sara Perez

Sara Perez

Sara Perez (24C) is from Managua, Nicaragua, possibly majoring in political science and mathematics. Outside of the Wheel, she is involved in 4 Justice and Emory’s debate team. You can also catch her drinking insane amounts of coffee and rewatching the same shows for the nth time. 

Contact Perez at [email protected]

Meredith McKelvey

Meredith McKelvey

Meredith McKelvey (19Ox, 21C) is from Nairobi, Kenya. Before moving to the U.S., McKelvey worked as a yoga teacher for underprivileged children in Nairobi’s slums. She plans on becoming a war correspondent after graduating from Emory.

Contact McKelvey at [email protected]

Lynnea Zhang

Lynnea Zhang

Lynnea Zhang (23C) is from Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, majoring in economics and neuroscience and behavioral biology. She writes for the Editorial Board. In her free time, she loves cooking, eating instant ramen and, as a member of the Barkley Forum, arguing. Zhang is considering to go into consulting, but as long as she gets her two cups of coffee in the morning, the future is limitless!

Contact Zhang at [email protected] 

Leah Woldai

Leah Woldai

Leah Woldai (23C) is from Lawrenceville, Georgia, majoring in history and English.  She writes for the Editorial Board. Outside of the Wheel, Woldai is a staff writer for Emory Black Star* Magazine and a historian for Emory African Student Association. In her free time, she enjoys writing short stories, painting and visiting art museums.

Contact Woldai at [email protected]