The No. 2 ranked Emory softball team played a doubleheader at Piedmont College in Demorest, GA on Tues., Apr. 9. The Eagles split the doubleheader, winning the first game while losing the second. The Eagles are now 38-2 on the season.

“It is always challenging when you go on the road to pick up wins, and I think that our energy level was very positive and they were very competitive,” said Coach Penny Siqueiros. “We were dialed in focused, concentrating and just hungry to compete.”
The Eagles opened the doubleheader in a big way, using their bats to win in blowout fashion. Emory defeated the Piedmont Lions 12 -2.

Battering the Piedmont pitching staff, the Eagles had 13 hits, while juniors Amanda Kardys and Lena Brottman held the Lions to just five. Kardys improved her record to 23-1, throwing four scoreless innings and allowing only three hits.

Junior Ally Kersthold highlighted the 14 hit offensive barrage with three hits, including a pair of doubles and three runs batted in (RBIs). Senior Meaghan Schultz went 2-for-2 with three RBIs. Sophomore Micah Scharff and junior Megan Light both contributed a couple of hits and a pair of RBIs.

“All I think about is having a good at bat,” Light said. “I remind myself what my job is based on the situation and just try my best to help the team.”

Emory started their scoring early by scoring three runs in the first inning. Three straight doubles by Kersthold, Scharff, and Light plated two runs. The third run came from a two out single by sophomore Moira Sullivan.

The Eagles extended their lead the next inning to 6 – 0 with run producing singles from Scharff and Kersthold. In the third inning, Emory scored two more runs off Kersthold’s two out double.

Light hit her 12th home run of the season in the fourth inning, establishing a school record for single season home runs.

Schultz hit a three-run blast later on to finish out the scoring.

Later that day, the Eagles lost a close game to the Lions 5-4.

“We hit the ball well in the second game,” Siqueiros said. “A lot of shots were hit right to people. The fencing at the school was very far. There were quite a few balls that, maybe at our park, would have been considered home runs. It is part of playing on the road.”

A two-run double, in the bottom of the seventh, sparked a rally for the Lions that led them to victory. The unfortunate loss ended the Eagle’s 19 game winning streak.
“One break here or there and it could have been a totally different outcome,” Light said. “We faced their best pitcher the second game so that’s why it was a much lower score.”

Emory was outhit 9-7. Emory led the lions 4-0 in the fourth inning, but the Lions chipped away lead by scoring twice in the fifth, once in the sixth and twice in the seventh.

In the top of second, Kersthold and Light started the Eagles scoring by each driving in a run. Freshman Hannah Sendel hit her seventh homerun of the season. Light hit a single in the fourth inning to score Kersthold to finish the Eagle’s scoring for the day.
Coach Siqueiros is very happy to be given the opportunity to coach such a wonderful team.
“This has been one of the more enjoyable groups that I have had a chance to coach in my career,” Siqueiros said. “I am really proud of the staff that we have, and the players are just winners in terms of who they are. It has been a lot of fun to be able to experience that this year.”

Emory returns to action when the Eagles host a Senior Day doubleheader against Gordon College on Sat., Apr. 13.

–By Alexander Del Re