Burst the Bubble

College is both transitory and transcendental; everyone at Emory is interconnected because we are all students at this institution – and that’s where the similarities end. Dichotomies persist in our individual experiences: Oxford and the Atlanta campus, being a white student or a student of color, living on campus off, staying in Decatur for all four years or making Atlanta a larger part of your time here. 

“The Emory Bubble” is a phrase that denotes our insular community, but it also refers to each of our insular lives. It is difficult to assimilate to college, and even more difficult to understand how many diverse lives are unfolding across the same campus, during the same time frame. We operate in bubbles, and change and grow through bursting them. 

In bursting our own individual bubbles, seeking to write about the specific people, places, and experiences that mark our time at Emory, we hope that this project takes a step in bursting the collective Emory Bubble that maintains the separation of communities, practices, and people.

– Saanvi Nayar, Opinion Editor

Bursting small bubbles, one side quest at a time

Written by Saanvi Nayar

Part of why I proposed this project was because personal narratives, regardless of their subject matter, automatically burst bubbles by demanding vulnerability.

Ox Nights: A glimpse into Oxford College’s nightlife

Written by Pierce McDade

It is as if some force brings people together, time slows down and you can reach out and touch the tiny strings that connect us all.

The nexus between cultures: Transformations within the Emory bubble

Written by Sara Pérez

Here, we are interconnected by our shared enrollment at Emory, but we all have different stories, backgrounds and customs.

The barbed wire guarding community, care, compassion

Written by Ellie Fivas

A prison is one of those things that, until I saw and felt it, was hard for me to conceptualize its existence in the world where I also live.

Accepting the ugly side of artistry

Written by Alexandra Kauffman

The urge to create, shape words like clay leaving behind the contour of my fingerprints, is an insatiable hunger.

Embracing existence at Emory as a radical act of redemption

Written by Aja Moore

Coming to Emory has allowed me to see the detrimental psychosocial effects “be safe” has had on me and my community.

Sugar Hill to Atlanta: No place like home

Written by Safa Wahidi

These environments can — and often do — feel suffocating. But at Emory, we do what we can to break the bubbles and make homes where we can breathe.

Being boundless, reliable, radiant as a college student

Written by Lola McGuire

My unique position as a low-income student has amplified the gratitude I feel for Emory, and I should not discredit my love for the Emory community simply because my experience is not shared with as many people.

With nothing left to lose: Reinventing myself in a queer bubble

Written by Sophia Ling

In search of a sense of belonging and identity, I fell in love with chasing after a disc as quickly as I got shin splints and with the same passion I once had writing and editing for this paper.

The college experience

Written by Sabrina Lane

The small surprises are what make my college experience worth it. Maybe I should embrace them.

10 minutes on Clifton Road: Growing to love the walk from WReC

Written by Anika Banerjee

Existing in our surroundings and pausing our external selves for just 10 minutes is still progress. 

My journey from Harvard dreams to Emory realities

Written by Eliana Liporace

As I reflect on my first six months at Emory, I am struck by the profound impact the school has had on my journey of self-discovery.

Ode to words left unspoken

Written by Nicole Rivkin

A letter she wrote me is the one thing I brought from home to place on my dorm wall.

My family history at Emory: Learning to let go

Written by Abby Charak

I no longer feel that I must forget my family history at Emory to make an individual mark on Emory’s campus. Instead, I see it as something that sets me apart.

Let writing teach you about our common humanity, not our divisions

Written by Sophia Peyser

Write when you feel community, companionship and love.

Webpage designed by Natalie Sandlow. Headshots courtesy of Opinion Staff.