Letter to the Editor: Demands for BIPOC Inclusivity at The Emory Wheel

In light of the protests against police brutality directed toward Black civilians, several student organizations at Emory University have released statements of solidarity with Black students, often accompanied by fundraisers promoting racial justice. The Emory Wheel was no exception to this; Madison Bober (20C), the current editor-in-chief (EIC), recently published a letter from the editor [...]

Read More

Letter From the Editor: Addressing the Wheel’s Complicity

I would be remiss not to address what’s been transpiring across the United States and the Wheel’s role within this larger movement. Throughout the past week, I wanted to take time to center Black voices in this movement before I commented as a white woman, but in truth, this letter is beyond late. The country [...]

Read More

A Conservative’s Defense of Billionaires

A recent Emory Wheel op-ed by Brammhi Balarajan (23C) suggested that “Billionaires Should not Exist.” But billionaires can exist, and I believe they are beneficial. The core of Balarajan’s argument lies in taking billionaires’ money through a so-called “wealth tax” to reduce social inequality. The wealth tax, as proposed by some presidential candidates, is both [...]

Read More

Senior Society Creates Community Leaders

As the 50th anniversary of my initiation into the Emory Senior Society approaches, I’m reflecting on my experiences as a student leader and activist during a very eventful time in our nation’s history, a period of rapid cultural and social change, and political conflict, not so different from today.  I count the years I spent [...]

Read More