111

This past weekend, the men and women’s track teams hosted the Emory Classic, the second meet of the outdoor season. The women’s team placed first among the 13 women’s teams competing and the men’s team placed second among the 14 men’s teams competing. Both teams combined for 13 first-place finishes and 25 top three finishes.

The women’s team finished far above the other competing teams, finishing 35 points ahead of Alabama-Huntsville. Coming off a strong finish to the indoor season, junior Electra Korn continued her good form with three first-place finishes. In the 400-meter hurdles, Korn beat her personal record and had the second fastest time in Emory history, with her 1:02:39 just short of the 1:02:23 set by Kahlilah Jennings.

Along with Korn, many other Emory runners delivered first-place finishes. Senior Morgan Monroe won the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.77 seconds, junior Elaina Kim won the pole vault by clearing 3.25 meters and senior Emily Caesar won the 1500-meter run in 4:46:31. Additionally, Madison Hoeninghausen won the javelin throw with a distance of 33.53 meters, Debora Adjibaba won the 800-meter run with a time of 2:19:45, and the 4×400 meter relay team won with a time of 4:06:88. Overall, the women’s team had a dominating performance.

In the Emory Classic, the men’s team performed well, but it was not enough for them to place first amongst the men’s teams.

The men’s team finished with 166 points, 15.5 points shy of Alabama-Huntsville. Junior Gui Silva finished first in the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.41 seconds. Sophomore Adam Rabushka won the 110-meter hurdles in 15.44 seconds, while junior Ankush Mohile finished second with 15.69 seconds.

Junior James Bassen won the javelin throw with a distance of 50.78 meters. The men’s 4×800 relay team, consisting of senior William Matheson, freshman Ian McIsaac and juniors Patrick Crews and Kevin Delaney finished first place in their relay with a time of 7:49:78, the fifth fastest time in school history.

While this event is not designed to have a championship-level intensity, Emory’s track and field team did not take the event lightly. While they did not compete against many of the top NCAA Division III schools, Emory is building their confidence with strong performances from both the men and the women.

While both teams had a plethora of first place finishes, many other team members finished in the top three, and most finished in the top seven to ten places in their respective competitions. These early performances showcased both the depth and the excellence of Emory’s top track and field athletes.

Coming up, Emory has two meets this weekend, the VertKlasse Meeting at High Point University in North Carolina and the Wofford Relays at Wofford College in South Carolina.

As a result of the two conflicting meets, Emory will be splitting both squads in order to represent the University in both events. Both the men’s and women’s teams hope to build their confidence and experience in these two upcoming events.

– By Shawn Farshchi