Courtesy of Finn Johnston

Finn Johnston’s (25C) candidacy for College Council vice president is distinguished by his proactive leadership and tangible contributions to student governance at Emory University. With a focus on amplifying student voices and fostering inclusivity, Johnston has already demonstrated his commitment to effecting positive change on campus. His campaign slogan, “Bridging the Gap,” offers a comprehensive roadmap for addressing critical issues facing the student body, making him the ideal candidate to lead College Council into a new era of engagement and advocacy.

Crucially, Johnston’s approach to governance is not merely theoretical — it is grounded in practical experience and a track record of effective leadership. As College Council co-Chief of Staff, Johnston has played a pivotal role in shaping internal processes and facilitating collaboration among student organizations alongside co-Chief of Staff Jannat Khan. He has leveraged his extensive network of connections within the Emory community to initiate meaningful dialogue and advocate for student interests of self-representation through the Belonging and Community Council. Johnston’s involvement on the Emory College Faculty Senate’s Curriculum and Assessments Committee underscores his proactive approach to engaging with key stakeholders, including faculty members, to drive institutional change with a nuanced understanding of the opportunities facing College Council.

Johnston’s campaign platform reflects his deep understanding of the challenges Emory students face, particularly regarding access to resources and support. His proposal to establish additional executive councils tailored to specific student interests, such as career development and academic support, demonstrates a commitment to addressing the diverse needs of the student body. Johnston’s advocacy for greater transparency and accessibility within College Council aligns with his broader vision of creating a more cohesive and inclusive campus community. By restructuring the constitution of the Belonging and Community Council, Johnston has already begun to foster greater collaboration and support among student organizations. His emphasis on providing resources and support to marginalized communities reflects a commitment to amplifying underrepresented voices and addressing systemic inequities within the student body.

In response to recent tensions and protests on the Atlanta campus, Johnston emphasized the importance of upholding free speech and supporting student activism during his interview with the Editorial Board. He pledged to continue advocating for open expression and free speech on campus, both within College Council and through his participation in University-wide committees. 

Looking ahead, Johnston’s campaign is focused on concrete initiatives to improve student engagement, address systemic inequities and foster a culture of inclusivity and empowerment at Emory. With his proven leadership, strategic vision and dedication to student advocacy, Johnston is poised to lead College Council with integrity and effectiveness, driving positive change for the benefit of the entire Emory community.

In his interview with the Board, Johnston’s persona shined through as a compassionate listener and empathetic leader. His unwavering dedication to amplifying the voices of minority groups at Emory reflects his commitment to building a more inclusive and equitable campus community. Johnston’s vision to “work like an organization, rather than a single entity” embodies his aspiration to foster unity and collaboration within College Council.

As Emory prepares to elect its next College Council vice president, the choice is clear: Johnston offers the experience, vision and commitment needed to address the pressing challenges facing students and build a more connected, inclusive and empowered campus community.

The above editorial represents the majority opinion of The Emory Wheel’s Editorial Board. The Editorial Board is composed of Marc Goedemans, Sophia Hoar, Carson Kindred, Justin Leach, Eliana Liporace, Lola McGuire, Saanvi Nayar, Sara Peréz, Jaanaki Radhakrishnan and Ilka Tona.