Hayley Powers/Visual Editor

Content Warning: This article contains references to racial violence, murder and hateful language directed at minority groups.

Following Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on Israel, University President Gregory Fenves concluded his  message last Wednesday with Emory University’s motto, “The wise heart seeks knowledge.” His advice to the Emory community was to construct informed opinions regarding the conflict.

Regrettably, this goal of nurturing respectful disagreement has significantly eluded our campus, and uneducated online discussions have driven us to further political entrenchment. The rampant propagation of misinformation and the palpable societal pressure to “choose the right side” has regrettably rendered current conversations unproductive.

It is imperative for every student at Emory to denounce violence against civilians and recognize the profound human suffering that has emerged in the wake of recent violence in Israel and Palestine. It is vital that students take a step back before posting uninformed opinions on social media or engaging in debate.

As the history of the Israel-Palestine conflict can be traced back hundreds of years, it is impossible to encapsulate its complexities in any editorial. Instead, we plead that every Emory student inform themselves using reliable journalistic and academic sources like Associated Press, Brookings Institution, Reuters, Foreign Affairs, and NPR, not social media, prior to engaging in discussions with their peers. Below we call attention to several key ideas that are often clouded in discourse.

The United States has supported Israel’s subjugation of Palestinians for years

The United States and Israel have been allies since the United States was the first country to recognize Israel’s statehood in 1948. Today, the United States considers Israel its most reliable partner in the Middle East — a partnership marked by numerous military, trade, scientific and cultural agreements. Since conflict erupted this month, U.S. President Joe Biden has announced the country’s continued support for Israel, reinforcing this historic geopolitical allegiance. Given the United States’ numerous political and economic conflicts of interest, it is clear that it cannot offer its citizenry unbiased media insight in regards to the fight between Israel and Palestine. Americans and Emory students alike need to actively search for evidence-based news.

Hamas is not representative of all Palestinians

Reducing the entirety of the Palestinian people to Hamas’ violent actions is incredibly dangerous. Hamas is a radical organization in control of the Gaza Strip that orchestrated the Oct. 7 massacre of Israeli civilians, which has killed more than 1,500 Israelis as of Oct. 17. Global powers such as the United States, European Union and United Kingdom have designated Hamas a terrorist organization. However, since the majority of Palestinians from both the West Bank and ​​the Gaza Strip were against breaking the ceasefire on Oct. 7 and have been critical of Hamas’ extremist positions, it is important that Emory students do not generalize Hamas’ actions to represent the larger demands of those in favor of Palestinian freedom.

Palestinian and Muslim students have felt that their statements in support of Palestinian liberation have been uncharitably misconstrued as pro-Hamas. Emory cannot allow this polarization to fester. Even in the face of the National Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) group’s claims that Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack was “a historic win for the Palestinian resistance,” it is important to recognize that SJP does not fully represent the diverse array of Palestinian viewpoints. Emory’s chapter of SJP should not be held to the opinions of the national organization. 

Civilians bear the brunt of Israeli retaliation

As Hamas perpetrated acts of terrorism on Israel’s land, the country has been forced to respond. Hamas fighters hide among and do not distinguish themselves from civilians, which the Israeli government claims justifies blocking access to water, electricity and medicine for civilians in the Gaza Strip. This retaliation has drawn sharp international condemnation

Similar to the distinction between Hamas and the entirety of Palestine, it is crucial to acknowledge that not all Israeli citizens nor Jews support the Israeli government’s recent retaliatory attacks or blockades on water, electricity and medicine. An Oct. 12 poll from Dialog Centre indicated that 86% of Israelis believed the surprise attacks carried out by Hamas were the result of “failures of the country’s leadership.” It is essential to condemn the actions of the Israeli government while recognizing the tragedy of the massacre of its civilians.

The media distorts the conflict 

The conflict between Israel and Palestine has been marred by journalistic irresponsibility for decades, with many media outlets failing to maintain their commitment to objective reporting. Coverage has been plagued with bias, perpetuating misconceptions surrounding the conflict and sowing further division. It is incontestable that language surrounding the conflict on either side has reflected antisemitic and Islamophobic rhetoric.

Social media exacerbates the spread of misinformation, as platforms like X, Facebook and Instagram have become breeding grounds for skewed narratives and sensationalist claims, including among Emory students. Many students’ posts entrench existing divisions and distill the complexities of the conflict.

Since many narratives have been completely fabricated — from a video of a paraglider in South Korea presented as a Hamas air assault to a fake White House memo purporting an additional $8 billion in aid to Israel — it is clear that our platforms contribute to America’s climate of desensitization, creating a certain detachment from the realities of these conflicts through oversaturation of violent imagery and language. It is important that Emory students do not rely on social media to keep them informed, but rather center fact-based news sources and scholars on the conflict and bring focus back to the real victims: Israeli and Palestinian civilians.

It is essential that Emory students approach discussions on the Israel-Palestine conflict with sensitivity and thoughtfulness. Commit yourself to thorough research and understanding before engaging in discourse. Do not allow yourself to feel pressure to “pick sides” or make sweeping, virtue-signaling statements. Hold for the complexity and depth of human suffering that exists within this conflict. In creating a space for communal mourning, be vigilant against the perpetuation of misinformation and actively seek out a multitude of nuanced, well-informed resources.

If you or someone you know experienced racial violence, hateful language or slur use or have been affected by homicide or murder, you can call the Emory Police Department at (404) 727-6111 or reach Emory’s Counseling and Psychological Services at (404) 727-7450. You can reach the Atlanta Police Department at (404) 614-6544 and the Lines for Life Racial Equity Support Line from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time at (503) 575-3764.

The above editorial represents the majority opinion of the Wheel’s Editorial Board. The Editorial Board is composed of Evelyn Cho, Marc Goedemans, Sophia Hoar, Carson Kindred, Justin Leach, Eliana Liporace, Elyn Lee, Lola McGuire, Shruti Nemala, Sara Perez, Maddy Prucha, Jaanaki Radhakrishnan and Ilka Tona.