The Student Programming Council (SPC) is bringing synth pop group Passion Pit and the Welsh alt rock band the Joy Formidable for this year’s Fall Band Party. The concert will take place on Wednesday, Nov. 6 (last year’s concert was held on a Monday). Passion Pit is not only different in genre from last year’s act, the Eli Young Band, but they are also a bigger name. Passion Pit’s brand of energetic electro pop is accessible to a diverse crowd, and we at the Wheel commend SPC’s effort to draw the group to campus.

Hopefully, this means Emory will be able to continue to bring more exhilarating and well-known acts. We applaud the amount of time SPC invested in bringing Passion Pit; such a task demands advance planning, persistence and intense work. Perseverance clearly paid off. Passion Pit typically plays at bigger campuses than Emory and, given last semester’s performance from Kendrick Lamar, it seems that Emory has become a destination on the map for big-named artists. McDonough Field is an excellent venue for these kinds of large and energized concerts.

WMRE, Emory’s student radio show, also had some “killer” choices for their annual fall concert, Localsfest, which features Atlanta-based bands. This year’s concert will feature critically-acclaimed Atlanta rapper Killer Mike, local punk band Carnivores and a set from student DJ Mateusz Nawara. This year, WMRE rented out the Goizueta Business School’s Patterson Green amphitheater instead of the usual Cox Ballroom. The Localsfest concert exists to highlight Atlanta’s music culture, and the acts performing represent different facets of the city’s social makeup. Both concerts will be hiring security in order to ensure safety.

We anticipate that SPC and WMRE’s advertising will lure people into coming to these concerts, but the names really do advertise for themselves.

We at the Wheel are pleased and impressed by the music coming to campus, and we hope that both WMRE and SPC will continue bringing in renowned and diverse performers in the future to cater to Emory students’ varied music tastes.

The above staff editorial represents the majority opinion of the Wheel‘s editorial board.