Titi Nguyen/Podcast Editor

My journey in the United States began in 2019. I did not know what to expect as I got on a flight to travel 9,000 miles from Bangalore, India, to Atlanta. When I first reached Emory University, I was amazed. Emory’s campus, the variety of classes offered, the innumerable organizations to get involved with, the size of the student body and the wide array of opportunities were unlike anything I had experienced before. The glamor, glory and possibilities seemed promising, but the realities of this new environment soon caught up to me. I was not in the comfortable bubble of my life back in India anymore. My friends were scattered globally, calls with my family had to be scheduled around the 9.5-hour time difference, I could not make short weekend visits back home and the South Asian experience at Emory did not seem familiar.

Initial conversations with “dadi” (my grandma) during my first year at Emory served as a foundation for what would soon become my sole vision at Emory — to make the most of an international opportunity that no one in my immediate family had a chance to experience. My parents have made immense sacrifices for me to be at Emory, and I had to make them proud. I had to figure out what I wanted to do, make sure I did so quickly and plan meticulously to make these aspirations a reality. I promised myself I would pursue new opportunities, and I held myself accountable to this promise. I started saying yes to every opportunity and challenge that came my way, both familiar and unfamiliar, and in the process of saying yes to everything, I soon learned the value of saying no.

Getting involved with the College Council and 180 Degrees Consulting gave me exposure and platforms to make tangible social impacts and advocate for equitable financial reform for numerous individuals and organizations. Experiences through these avenues have incomparably shaped my broader vision for opportunities that I want to pursue in the future. On the other hand, getting involved with the Indian Cultural Association (ICA) has provided me with an unparalleled foundation to showcase my culture to the Emory community and develop a deepened appreciation for the diversity in the South Asian diaspora. The opportunities I pursued at Emory have fulfilled me with a heightened sense of purpose, learning, gratitude and direction. However, these opportunities have also come at the cost of spontaneity, personal boundaries and relationships I cherish. 

There has always been a meeting that took priority over getting dinner with an old classmate, an event that seemed more important than getting coffee with a professor and an organizational issue that caused me to reschedule a game of pool with a friend. Even with all the fulfillment my commitments at Emory have brought me, my favorite memories over the past four years still include making an impromptu road trip to Florida with my roommate, disastrously preparing noodles for a midterm and the cold meal I had after 48 hours of Diwali preparation on the floor of the Omni Atlanta Hotel ballroom with the ICA board. The people I have met have defined my Emory experience and led me toward my biggest takeaways from my time here: embracing spontaneity, investing in relationships and appreciating diversity. Through the people I have met and the experiences I have had, I have learned a tremendous amount about myself and what I value. I have learned to welcome opportunities that help me stay grounded in the present and to say no to some of the opportunities that make me chase seemingly greener patches.

Investing in yourself and your future by pursuing opportunities for exploration is important, but embracing the present, adopting spontaneity and reflecting on what you value are likely more rewarding. Emory, with its people and opportunities, provides a tremendous trajectory for personal growth, and my experiences here are something I will celebrate for a long time.

Akshat Toshniwal is from Bangalore, India, and double-majored in quantitative sciences and economics and mathematics. Toshniwal served as the co-president of the Indian Cultural Association, the president of the 67th College Council, and the co-president of 180 Degrees Consulting. After graduating, he plans to pursue a career in consulting as an associate consultant in Bain & Company’s Seattle office.