This piece was previously live and covered a tribute service for former U.S. First Lady Rosalynn Carter at Emory University’s Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church at 1 p.m. on Nov. 28. U.S. President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden, as well as former president Bill Clinton and all living first ladies were in attendance. Rosalynn Carter’s husband of 77 years, Jimmy Carter, was also present.

4:10 p.m.: Pro-Israel demonstration held in response to pro-Palestine protest 

Protestors began to disperse after the last motorcade left at 3:14 p.m.

About half an hour earlier at 2:42 p.m., seven supporters of Israel gathered across the street from the Palestinian protestors, holding an Israeli flag and a sign with a red heart above the word “Jews.”

One of the counter-protestors, a Jewish Emory University student who requested to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation, said that his initial plan was to “watch Joe Biden and his motorcade.” However, he saw the protest condemning U.S. President Joe Biden’s support of Israel while walking by Goizueta Business School and said he found the demonstration “fairly insulting.”

“I saw these people who are openly calling for the destruction of my nation,” the student said. “I had to do something.”

The student went back to his dorm to get his Israeli flag and joined another counter-protestor, who was standing alone with the sign depicting the red heart.

“I wanted to give him some support to know that he’s not alone in standing for the only democratic nation in the Middle East and the nation that’s protected by God,” the student said.

Satya Vatti, who organized the protest with the Atlanta Party for Socialism and Liberation, said that she was not paying much attention to the pro-Israel demonstration. She said that support for Palestine has only grown over the past few weeks as more people are learning about the “suffering” Palestinians have faced for “75 years that’s been backed by the United States.”

“There’s a global movement now demanding Justice for Palestinian people and demanding a free Palestine,” Vatti said. “This has definitely been a turning point for the Palestinian struggle worldwide.”

— Esther Fu, contributing writer

3:08 p.m.: Tribute service concludes

The tribute service for former First Lady Rosalynn Carter at Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church has come to a close, with military officers carrying Rosalynn Carter’s casket out of the church. The Carter family, including former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, exited following the casket. Next, U.S. President Joe Biden, First Lady Jill Biden, former U.S. President Bill Clinton and all living former First Ladies exited to their respective motorcades, which are leaving now.

Up to 30 individuals gathered across the street as Biden left in a limousine. Protestors, who organized a demonstration to condemn Biden’s support of Israel, chanted “Genocide Joe has got to go” repeatedly as the president’s car passed the corner of North Decatur Road and Clifton Road.

— Spencer Friedland, news editor and Esther Fu, contributing writer

A military honor guard carries Rosalynn Carter’s casket out of Glenn Memorial church. (Jack Rutherford/Senior Staff Photographer)

2:47 p.m.: Speakers reflect on Rosalynn Carter’s legacy

Several speakers shared stories about former First Lady Rosalynn Carter, including her son Chip Carter and grandson Jason Carter. Her daughter, Amy Lee Carter, said former U.S. President Jimmy Carter was not able to speak today and read a short letter the former president wrote to his wife about 75 years ago.

“When I see you I fall in love with you all over again,” Jimmy Carter wrote in the letter read by Amy Lee Carter. “Does that see strange to you? It doesn’t to me.”

Jason Carter spoke on Rosalynn Carter and Jimmy Carter’s ever-lasting love for each other and their family. He also focused on his grandmother’s legacy, adding that she was a steadfast advocate for mental health.

“It is remarkable how far she could see and how far she was willing to walk,” Jason Carter said. “That effort changed lives and it saved lives, including in my own family.”

Journalist Judy Woodruff, who covered the Carters’ time in the White House, also discussed Rosalynn Carter’s accomplishments. She said she does not believe Jimmy Carter would have been president without Rosalynn Carter, adding that “millions of lives are better off” due to the former first lady’s work.

— Madi Olivier, managing editor

1:36 p.m.: Tribute service begins in honor of Rosalynn Carter

Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter’s casket was just borne into Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church by a military honor guard as members of the clergy and family members watched and walked alongside. The memorial service is now beginning and will last for approximately an hour.

— Jack Rutherford, staff writer

Protestors condemn U.S. President Joe Biden for not supporting a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war. (Esther Fu/Contributing Writer)

1:21 p.m.: Protestors gather near Glenn Memorial, condemn Biden’s support for Israel

Around 90 protestors have assembled at the corner of North Decatur Road and Clifton Road, adjacent from Glenn Memorial Church. The Atlanta Party of Socialism and Liberation organized the protest to criticize U.S. President Joe Biden’s support for Israel. Protestors are waving Palestinian flags, wearing keffiyehs and holding signs that state, “Ceasefire Now! Stop Israel & Biden’s Genocide” and “End all U.S. Aid to Israel.” Organizers started chanting “Biden, Biden you can’t hide, we charge you with genocide” and “Free, free, free Palestine” and “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” a couple of minutes after Biden’s motorcade arrived at 12:27 p.m.

An Emory University student at the protest, who requested to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation, said it is rare to have Biden nearby so she wanted to use the opportunity to make her voice heard.

Another student, who also requested to remain anonymous of out of fear of retribution, expressed a similar sentiment.

“We’re just really trying to show that people stand with Palestine, even thousands of miles away, even at Emory,” the student said. “We have no goal to disrupt the memorial in a harmful way. We just want to show that we don’t support bombing Gaza.”

In a statement to The Emory Wheel earlier this morning, an executive member of Emory Students for Justice in Palestine (ESJP) wrote that the organization “has absolutely no involvement” in the protest and would not be attending. The member requested to remain anonymous out of fear of retribution.

“We are grieving the loss of Rosalynn Carter and her life of activism and hope for this memorial to be a chance for our community to come together in solidarity and remembrance,” the ESJP member wrote.

— Esther Fu, contributing writer

12:52 p.m.: Rosalynn Carter’s casket arrives at Glenn Memorial

Rosalynn Carter’s casket has arrived and is waiting to be unloaded from the hearse as larger crowds watch the scene unfold from Emory Village. All of the guests, including U.S. President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden, entered Glenn Memorial Church through the back after their motorcade arrived.

— Eric Jones, senior staff writer

U.S. President Joe Biden, First Lady Jill Biden and all living former U.S. First Ladies drove down Clifton Road to attend a tribute service for former U.S. First Lady Rosalynn Carter on Nov. 28. (Madi Olivier/Managing Editor)

U.S. President Joe Biden, First Lady Jill Biden and all living former U.S. first ladies drove down Clifton Road to attend a tribute service for former U.S. First Lady Rosalynn Carter on Nov. 28. (Madi Olivier/Managing Editor)

12:26 p.m.: Biden, former first ladies arrive

The presidential motorcade, including the presidents armored limousine known colloquially as “the Beast,” have arrived at Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church. The motorcade includes U.S. President Joe Biden, U.S. First Lady Jill Biden, all living former U.S. first ladies and a number of other government dignitaries.

The presidential motorcade group entered the rear of the chapel. The Carter family motorcade, carrying Rosalynn Carter’s casket, is still on its way. 

– Jack Rutherford, staff writer

Emory University’s Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church will host a tribute service for former U.S. First Lady Rosalynn Carter at 1 p.m. today. Carter passed away on Nov. 19. (Eric Jones/Senior Staff Writer).

12:00 p.m.: Motorcade begins to arrive at Glenn Memorial

Ambulances and advance vehicles from U.S. President Joe Biden’s motorcade are beginning to arrive at Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church. All attendees are expected to be in place by 12 p.m., according to the Carter Center officials on the ground.

– Jack Rutherford, staff writer

10:45 a.m.: Awaiting presidential motorcade

The Secret Service is admitting media to Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church’s lawn after a bag search and body check. The lawn has been cordoned off by security and all neighboring roads are closed down. Roughly 50 reporters from local and national media and the White House press pool are outside the church, awaiting the arrival of the presidential motorcade. Emory Village, which sits across the road from the church, is quiet at this time. There are not many people looking on from outside the lawn’s fenced perimeter.

The Carter family motorcade will depart The Carter Center at noon for the tribute service. On its way to campus, the motorcade will proceed down Clifton Road Northeast and take a left onto North Decatur Road to the church.

— Eric Jones, senior staff writer

7 a.m.: Biden, former first ladies among expected guests at tribute service for Rosalynn Carter

Today, Emory University will be hosting the tribute service for Rosalynn Carter, former First Lady of the United States and wife of former President Jimmy Carter, at the Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church located on campus. The Carter family motorcade will depart The Carter Center for Emory around noon and the tribute service will begin at 1 p.m.

Expected guests include Jimmy Carter, U.S. President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden, former President Bill Clinton, as well as all living former first ladies – Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama and Melania Trump. Vice President Kamala Harris and Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff, Gov. Brian Kemp and Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens are also expected to be in attendance. Because of enhanced security on campus and in the area, Emory will hold classes and work remotely. All roads in the vicinity of Glenn Memorial will be closed. The closures on and around Emory’s campus will reopen at 4 p.m.

— Eric Jones, senior staff writer