The men’s soccer team played a close match with the Centre College (Ky.) Colonels this past weekend at the Woodruff Physical Education Center (WoodPEC). The No.25-ranked Eagles fell to 4-2-0 on the season, suffering a tough loss to Centre after falling victim to a late goal.

Head Coach Sonny Travis was still satisfied with his team’s effort.

“We played hard, possessed and moved the ball, but [we] need to play better in the attacking third,” Travis said. “Centre deserves credit for finishing a very good goal late in the game to come away with the win.”

The Colonels’ defense shut down the Eagles’ offense for most of the game, limiting the Eagles to a season low of five shots with only just a pair on goal. Centre totaled 11 shots with five on the goal.

“I think we are still gelling as a team,” Travis said. “I like the way our backs and goalkeeper Abe Hannigan are playing. We will build off that and get our attack going.”

Centre took the early advantage in the game when their sophomore forward Cameron Miller scored his fourth goal of the season in the 11th minute of play after the Eagles had trouble clearing a corner kick.

Sophomore defender Leo Ragazzo said the Eagles must work on avoiding similar mistakes in the future.

“I think it is important we, as a team, go over our mistakes from the game and see how we can rectify them; we are certainly capable of doing so,” Ragazzo said. “It is important to go over our mistakes but not to dwell on them.”

Emory would later answer back later in the half when junior Carl Credle scored his first goal of the season. Credle volleyed a shot into the net after a long throw in from Ragazzo. It was Ragazzo’s first assist of the season.

“Our coach has repeatedly said how deep our team is, and I think today it really held true,” Ragazzo said. “For every position, we have a great player from the bench to fill in if needed. This is something not many teams have, and I think today they really helped the team out.”

For the remainder of the game, the next best opportunity for the Eagles came off a shot by senior Andrew Jones outside the 18-yard box. The shot rocketed past the keeper but ricocheted off the right post.

The game stayed at 1-1 until the 76th minute where Centre’s freshman forward Jacob Trumbull scored the eventual game-winning goal. It was Trumbull’s first goal of the season.

Sophomore Abe Hannigan played all 90 minutes in goal for Emory. He took the loss to fall to 4-2-0 for the year, despite recording a pair of skilled saves in the match. Centre’s sophomore Ohan Missirian-Dill made one save, picking up the win to improve to 3-1-2 on the year.

Ragazzo recognized specific aspects that the Eagles have to improve.

“We have potential to be great, but we have lost the rhythm we had at the beginning of the year,” he said. “Today there were just a few things we needed to improve – cleaner touches, better decision making – that will greatly benefit us in the future games.”

After winning its first four games of the season, they Eagles have now lost two in a row. Coach Travis shares the same mindset as his player.

“Things are all fixable through hard work, and our season is far from over,” Travis said. “[Maryville] becomes an important game for us. We have to have the mentality to take the game to [Maryville]. Keep the pressure on for 90 minutes and never let down.”

Emory will look to turn it around later in the week when the team travels to Maryville College (Tenn.) for a 7 p.m. game this Wednesday, Sept. 18.

By Alexander Del Re 

Photo by Andy Ie