The Office of Admission has extended its Early Decision (ED) I Deadline to submit the Common Application until Nov. 4 from Nov. 1 for applicants to Emory College and Oxford College. 

This change comes in light of many prospective students having technical difficulties with using the Common App.

Additionally, the deadline for transcripts, letters of recommendations and other materials has been extended until Nov. 11.

The Office of Admission said in its online blog that they decided to push the deadline back to help “ease anxiety caused by possible technology issues” but still encourage students to turn their application in on time.

Other universities across the nation have also decided to push back their deadlines as the Common Application is now accepted by more than 500 institutions.

The Common Application, a non-profit organization, allows students to apply to numerous colleges and universities using one application.

“We are aware of the log-in issues users are experiencing,” the Common Application tweeted Monday. “[We are] taking steps to address the problem as quickly as possible.”

Northwestern University (Ill.), Duke University (N.C.), the University of Chicago, Boston College and several others have pushed their deadlines back to later in November.

The Office of Admission said in the blog post that the deadline extension will not affect students’ chances of acceptance, and the office “[does] not anticipate any delay of the release of decisions in mid-December.”

WSB-TV reported Monday that many other Georgia institutions – including but not limited to the Georgia Institute of Technology, Morehouse College and Oglethorpe University – have extended their ED application deadlines.

The College also extended its ED deadline to Nov. 5 last year due to Hurricane Sandy. Students in the Northeast, where the damage was greatest, were given until Nov. 15 last year.

– By Nicholas Sommariva