Thundercat rips into a jazzy bass solo as Coleman backs him on the keys. This duo improvised instrumental sections to nearly every song played during the show. (Grace Li/Contributing Photographer)

“Anyone here reading ‘Jujutsu Kaisen’?” Thundercat asked the roaring crowd.

The artist continued to list various mangas, trying to gauge what his Atlanta audience was currently reading. The crowd responded at various volumes after each manga. In a sea of hundreds of fans that filled the Coca-Cola Roxy, it felt like Thundercat was talking directly to me, like we were just hanging out on a normal Sunday evening. This was how Thundercat appeared on stage for the Atlanta stop of his “In Yo Girl’s City” tour on Oct. 22.

Stephen Bruner, known professionally as Thundercat, is a singer, bassist, songwriter and producer from Los Angeles. He first gained fame as a member of the band “Suicidal Tendencies.” He later achieved prominence as a solo act, releasing four albums and frequent collaborations with the likes of Mac Miller and Kendrick Lamar.

Thundercat has amassed a following not only for his incredible bass guitar skills but also his comic-anime enthusiast persona and satirical lyrics that speak to many younger fans. The many “Dragonball Durags” in the audience evidenced this.

Before Thundercat took the stage, an unexpected opener warmed up fans with fast-paced dance beats and smooth choreography. Coco & Breezy, close friends of Thundercat, got fans moving with groovy melodies and immaculate energy. They launched into coordinated dance moves at many of their beat drops.

After Coco & Breezy, Thundercat surprised the crowd with another of his close friends, keyboardist Brandon Coleman. Thundercat emphasized that performing with Coleman was special; the two grew up together and Coleman was the first person Thundercat began writing songs with as a teenager. Thundercat marveled at their humble start learning music from “The Legend of Zelda” to performing in front of hundreds of fans, describing this concert with Coleman as “magical.”

However, a sentimental story was not all that Coleman brought to the show. He and Thundercat repeatedly traded off complex solos, improvising over some of Thundercat’s well known tunes like “Innerstellar Love” (2020) and “Friend Zone” (2017).

One of the most magical moments of improvisation came at the audience’s request. After a recommendation from a fan, Coleman launched into the chords of one of Thundercat’s earliest songs, “Daylight” (2011), which probably would not have made the setlist otherwise. The resulting saga of electro-jazz solos on bass guitar, keys and even drums were a highlight of the show. At one point, the duo also launched into a version of “Tell Me a Bedtime Story” (2018) by Herbie Hancock, a song Thundercat said they discovered together as teenagers.

Another outstanding moment was Thundercat’s performance of “Tokyo” (2017), where he recounted his first trip to the city at age 18. He recalled a younger, more foolish version of himself through a combination of talking and singing. These life anecdotes made Thundercat feel human and approachable, like a guy you would hang out and play video games with. Thundercat even began talking about his skill in “Mortal Kombat” with the character Johnny Cage, claiming no one could get more than one round on him with Cage. This type of stage presence was a refreshing contrast to many artists who make themselves seem god-like with stunts and other theatrics at their concerts.

Thundercat ended his show with a bang. Second to last, Thundercat performed his 2020 hit “Funny Thing,” encouraging the crowd to dance and sing along. The energy for this tune was so frenzied that the singer played it twice in a row. To cap off his performance, Thundercat ended with “Them Changes” (2017). The bassline brought out cathartic levels of groovy dancing from the crowd. After this smashing send-off, many fans began the “one more song” chants, deservedly.

Thundercat brought a unique stage presence and masterful bass playing to his Atlanta stop of the “In Yo Girl’s City” tour, making this performance one to remember. While he did play many of his hits, Thundercat was just there to have a good time, willing to play any song that came to mind or that was shouted out by the audience. Every song had gaudy bass improvisation sections after the final chorus as well. If you get a chance to see Thundercat live, do not pass up the opportunity to see a jazzy, comedic and, above all, funky experience like no other.

Samuel Bartlett (26C, he/him) is from Durham, North Carolina whose major is undecided. Outside of the Wheel, Bartlett is involved with the Emory Climate Reality Project as an executive, helping plan events to raise awareness about climate change. He loves watching UNC basketball and exploring Atlanta.