The swimming and diving teams gave the Georgia Institute of Technology all they could handle in last Saturday’s meet. Hosting Georgia Tech for the first time in more than 16 years, the Eagles came out ready to compete. Although the Eagles ultimately came up short, they excelled and outswam Tech in multiple events.

Emory’s men opened the meet with a win in the 400-yard medley relay, as senior Ross Spock, sophomore Andrew Wilson, junior Hayden Baker and senior Jake Stephens won the event with a “B” cut time of 3:22.56.

Wilson added two additional NCAA provisional qualifying times during the meet, winning the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 56.74 seconds and finishing second in the 200-yard breaststroke with a mark of 2:06.22.

“Everyone was extra pumped up before the meet and the seniors were especially excited,” senior Ross Spock said.

“Standing behind the blocks for that first race with my relay, I just got the feeling something special was about to happen.”
The women actually outscored Tech in the swimming events with great performances all around. Leading the women was sophomore Ellie Thompson, claiming wins in both backstroke events, each good enough for an NCAA “B” cut time.

Thompson also teamed with freshman Annelise Kowalsky, junior Nina Zook and junior Nancy Larson to win the 400-yard medley relay with a “B” cut time of 3:52.71. Kowalsky also won the 100-yard breaststroke (1:03.90) and the 200-yard individual medley (2:06.34).

Coach Howell was very happy with the team’s performance.

“I think what impressed me most was the team environment at the meet,” he explained. “We are all sore and tired, but they rose above that as a group and performed. Our team really took advantage of the opportunity to race as a team this weekend.”

The seniors of both teams have performed exceptionally well as they reach the twilight of their college careers. They have helped meet and raise the expectations of the swimming and diving program. The women are going for their fourth Division III title in five years while the men are competing for a championship as well.

The Eagles will be back in action against another Division I program next Saturday, when the team travels to Tuscaloosa, Ala. to face the University of Alabama Crimson Tide.

By Michael Scheck