The Student Government Association (SGA) voted to fund bike racks at the intramural fields and appointed two members to the SGA Elections Board.

The Campus Services Committee determined that the Michael Kaminsky Intramural Park at Candler Fields was the most strategic location for the bike racks because it does not have enough car parking facilities and situated at a place inconvenient for walking, according to the bill authors.

“Bicycle racks provide important infrastructural support for current cyclists on campus, provide security and convenience of storage … discourage the storage of bicycles in inconvenient or dangerous places … and incentivize new and increased bicycle use,” said the text of the bill.

The project will start in April 2013 and will last for no less than 10 years, according to the bill.

The Campus Services Committee has been working all year with the Office of Sustainability and university architect James R. Johnson.

They determined that the 10-space bicycle rack would cost around $2,500.

The Department of Athletics and Recreation agreed to co-fund the project with SGA. The Campus Services Committee asked SGA for $1,640 from the Fee Interest Account for the installation of the bike racks.

SGA voted unanimously to fund the bicycle racks.

SGA also unanimously elected two members to the SGA Elections Board, a committee designed to examine and make recommendations about campus-wide elections.

SGA elected second year law student Matt Kuhn as the elections board vice chair and first year PhD. student in sociology Stephanie Greeson as secretary.

SGA’s T-shirt exchange will take place at Wonderful Wednesday this week. Students will be able to trade in T-shirts from other universities for a free Emory T-shirt.

After spring break, SGA will hear a bill calling for a student referendum on their confidence in University President James W. Wagner.

– By Rupsha Basu