California Gov. Considers Bill to Increase Student Athlete Rights

The California State Legislature sent a bill to Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sept. 11 that, if signed, would allow college athletes to obtain endorsement deals and hire agents. The Fair Pay to Play Act, which received unanimous bipartisan support in both the California State Senate and Assembly, would allow college athletes to make money from their names, images and likenesses. Newsom has 30 days to sign, veto or allow the bill to become law without his signature.

The NCAA, the nation’s top college sports regulatory body, warned that it would consider challenging the bill in court. The NCAA sent Newsom a letter the same day he received the bill, writing that it could exclude California schools from NCAA competition due to the “unfair competing advantage” the bill would create for California students. 

The bill’s supporters argue that the college sports industry funnels players’ would-be profit to the NCAA, leaving players to fend for themselves with scholarship funds. Supporters also argue that the industry exacerbates gender inequality within sports by offering disproportionate opportunities to graduating athletes of different genders. 

Meanwhile, those opposing the bill say that the legislature fails to fully understand the workings of the NCAA. The NCAA is currently conducting a study to be released in October. Working group co-chair Gene Smith said while the study would not necessitate greater pay for athletes per game, it could change current policies.

Uber Ends Electric Bike Use in Atlanta, Keeps Scooters

Uber decided to end the use of Jump e-bikes in Atlanta on Sept. 13, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC). However, Jump e-scooters will still be available through the Uber app. The company did not provide an explanation for its termination of its e-bike operations in the city.

E-scooters have faced increasing regulation since their arrival in Atlanta in the summer of 2018, according to the AJC. After two e-scooter related deaths, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms enforced a nighttime riding ban on Sept. 13 prohibiting the vehicles after 9 p.m. Scooters must also be ridden on the street at or below 15 miles per hour.

Potential Study Could Reduce Danger for Atlanta’s Pedestrians

The Atlanta City Council Transportation Committee unanimously requested legislation to conduct a study evaluating the city’s motorist speed limits in an effort to make Atlanta’s streets less dangerous, according to the AJC. Proposed by Councilmember Andre Dickens, the legislation will go to the Atlanta City Council on Monday.

The study would examine speed limits and the usefulness of speed trackers, as well as lighting and sidewalk availability. However, the study will likely not mandate new, lower speed limits, according to the AJC.

Actress Felicity Huffman Receives 14-Day Jail Sentence

U.S. District Court Judge Indira Talwani sentenced actress Felicity Huffman to 14 days in prison, 250 hours of community service and a $30,000 fine for her role in the college admissions scandal, according to The New York Times. Huffman is the first parent sentenced in the scandal, which involved wealthy families paying bribes to secure elite college admissions for their children. Huffman paid $15,000 for a proctor to increase her daughter’s SAT score.