Standing in line, I waited anxiously for what I considered a defining occasion of my future college experience: my student visa interview.

My interviewer questioned, “Emory University?” I nodded with a smile.

He continued to say, “That’s a private school, how do you intend to pay for it?”

By this time I’d been well versed with the politics that came into play while approving visas. I slowly pulled a letter from my bag, showing that my sponsors will assume all financial responsibility,

“Good luck” was followed by a loud thump of the “approved” stamp on my visa. I could safely say that I was set to pursue my education at Emory.

International students constitute approximately 10 to 15 percent of the Emory student body. At Oxford, 10 percent of the student population alone is from China, excluding students from other prominent countries such as South Korea and India. Every year the population of international students increases dramatically, leading Emory to boast upon the “diversity” factor on its website.

Despite Emory’s numerous attempts to cater to the international student population through orientation and immigration services, one area of concern remains untouched. That is, the perpetuating stereotype among the other body that all international students come from wealthy families and require no financial assistance.

An international student from China shares her experience on how her parents work hard to pay the full tuition here at Emory:

“My mum owns a small business and my dad works for a real estate company in China. For almost 10 years, they have worked really hard to save enough money so that I can study in America. They’ve sold their house and had to find different ways to finance my education here because of the currency difference.”

Another international student from Korea shares his experience:

“Times are hard and people don’t understand how, even as international students, finance is something we worry about. We had to move to a smaller house so that I can continue studying here.”

The stereotypes that international students mostly come from wealthy families has long been rooted in the student body due to their ability to pay full tuition. Perhaps, students fail to acknowledge that even within the international student community, there is a wide diversity in socioeconomic statuses that are left unnoticed due to the “larger brush” that these international students get painted on.

The cost of tuition for Emory has increased from $40,600 in 2012 to $42,000 for 2013. The current cost of attendance for Emory is estimated to be around $56,470 (this includes room and board, books and other out-of-pocket expenses). With such a steep increase, not only are domestic students struggling to make ends meet but so are their international peers. The ineligibility to qualify for federal-work study and the scarcity of the job opportunities on campus further burdens the international student community.

Although arguments have been put forth for the availability of merit scholarship, which both international and domestic students can apply for, the chances are slim for international students. The unfamiliarity with the American education system and the difference in recognized skills leaves international students in a subordinate position to their American friends in competing for these merit based scholarships.

If Emory is too expensive, then why do international students continue to flood into this institution? The answer is simple, as a top 20 University, Emory provides ample opportunity for students upon graduation. Even better, the prestige associated with an American education puts many international students ahead of their peers. Having said that, this alone should not be a reason to delay the idea of financial assistance for international students. Perhaps it’s time Emory starts developing a more proactive approach in assisting international students with their financial woes and better recognize them for their interest in Emory despite the financial pressure.

Yugen Balamohan is a College sophomore from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.