Novak Djokovic anticipates a ball at the Fever-Tree Championships on June 17. 2018. (Wikimedia Commons/Carine06)

The 2023 Australian Open, which ran from Jan.16 – Jan. 29, was the first without six-time champion Roger Federer in 23 years. The first round of the tournament saw 128 players in each draw with big names such as Rafael Nadal, Andrey Rublev and Tommy Paul competing against lesser-ranked players. However, the Open was steeped in absentee players. Australian superstar and fan favorite Nick Kyrgios withdrew from the tournament after suffering a knee injury and the top-ranked 2022 U.S. Open champion Carlos Alcaraz injured his leg training before the tournament.  

Nine-time Australian Open winner Novak Djokovic returned to the tournament after being forced to withdraw from the 2022 Australian Open because of his unvaccinated status. Djokovic returned to the Australian court this year looking to start his 2023 Grand Slam campaign and tie Nadal’s major record of 22 Grand Slam championship titles.  

Heading into the Open, fans had high hopes for Nadal who held the top seed in this year’s tournament. The action-packed second round saw many surprises and action including American MacKenzie McDonald tactically maneuvering to beat an injured Nadal, who refused to withdraw, in straight sets (6-4, 6-4, 7-5). This devastating loss added to Nadal’s woes after he suffered an abdominal tear at Wimbledon back in 2022. 

Djokovic entered the finals with confidence from defeating Australian Alex de Minaur in the fourth round, Rublev in the quarterfinals and Paul in the semifinals. Although he seemed to effortlessly dominate his opponents, a hamstring injury coupled with a controversy surrounding his father and the Russian flag disrupted his last week of the Open. Djokovic was also quick to refute the speculation that he faked his injury. Despite the headlines against Djokovic, he cruised through his opponents with his stifling defense, continuing his 16-game win streak dating back to 2022. 

On the other side of the bracket, Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated Jiri Lehecka in the quarterfinals (6-3, 7-6 (2), 6-4) and Karen Khachanov in the semifinals in four sets (7-6 (2), 6-4, 6-7 (8), 6-3). Tsitsipas utilized his ferocious forehand during these matches. 

Yet, it became uncertain whether Tsitsipas had enough momentum to stave off Djokovic’s strong offensive and defensive play. Throughout the tournament, Djokovic relied on counters to break down his opponents. This strategy gave him considerable success as he went on to only drop one set in his six matches leading up to the final.  

Djokovic and Tsitsipas faced off in a highly anticipated championship match on Jan. 29. The match started off with Djokovic dominating the first set 6-3. However, the next two sets saw a battle of wills. Tsitsipas set the tone with a few highlight plays including a backhand slice in the second set. Ultimately, Djokovic was able to find his spots on the court better than Tsitsipas. A miss by Tsitsipas with the second set score tied at 6-6 gave Djokovic the second set victory 7-6 (4).  

Tsitsipas would not give in despite Djokovic’s momentum from the last set. The third set ended in another tie breaker. Djokovic managed to respond to Tsitsipas’ powerful serves with equally powerful forehand shots. Ultimately, Djokovic won the tournament with a well-placed forehand to Tsitsipas’ right side, leading him to scramble for the ball and shoot over the baseline at 7-6 (5).  

After shaking hands with Tsitsipas, Djokovic ran over to his coaching staff and collapsed, visibly emotional from what he said in the post match interview was the “biggest victory of my life.”  

No. 5 Sabalenka takes women’s singles crown in heavily contested matchup 

The women’s singles bracket also had notable absentee players such as two-time champions Naomi Osaka and Venus Williams. With their absences, a few players appeared to be favorites to win the tournament, including Poland’s no. 1 Iga Swiatek and France’s no. 4 Caroline Garcia. Coming off of strong tournament play in the 2022 U.S. and French Opens, they both sought to make their mark in the first Grand Slam of 2023. 

A few Americans looked poised to take the women’s singles crown as well. This was the first Australian Open since 1997 without seven-time Australian Open champion Serena Williams. Favorites included 18-year-old Coco Gauff and no. 3 Jessica Pegula who showed promise when she defeated a few Grand Slam champions en route to her victory at the 2022 Guadalajara Open. 

The fourth round saw a notable victory after no. 22 Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan upset Swiatek in a two-set victory 6-4, 6-4. Though Rybakina won Wimbledon in 2022, Swiatetek had a commanding year as well, winning both the U.S. Open and French Open. 

Aryna Sabalenka, who was one of the best servers in 2021, became one of the worst in 2022 with 428 double faults and resorted to the greater use of an underhand. Going up against a powerful hitter like Donna Vekic in the quarterfinals, Sabalenka relied heavily on forehand technique and defense to her advantage. Though this strategy worked with Vekic and Poland’s Magda Linette, Rybakina’s serve coupled with her agility and momentum from winning key matches would prove to be a challenge for Sabalenka in the championship draw. 

Sabalenka dropped the first set for the first time in the Open 4-6 after Rybakina rained on four straight points in the final set point. Avenging her first set loss and several double faults, Sabalenka did not waver in the second set. The Belarusian went on a tear, sizing up a 3-1 lead. Compared to the first set, her serves were much more controlled. With greater athleticism, stronger forehand and improved serves, Rybakina didn’t have an answer for Sabalenka who won the set 6-3. The resurgence by Sabalenka in the second set led to a decisive third set that would determine the next champion. 

Both players fired on all cylinders in a hotly contested draw. The set points remained tied until Sabalenka gave the first break of the match 4-3. After Sabalenka won one more point 5-3, Rybakina responded with a wide forehand to make the contest 4-5. 

Rybakina’s hopes of a comeback were shattered by the end of the third set after she hit a forehand long beyond the baseline, making the final score 6-4. Sabalenka immediately collapsed to the ground with her hands covering her face and began sobbing as the crowd cheered. This was Sabalenka’s first Grand Slam title. 

As she received the 2023 Australian Open Trophy, Belarus was not engraved as the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) and Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) voted to prohibit Russian and Belarussian players from competing for their countries unless they played for a neutral team. Her victory marks the first one for the neutral team since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. After the match, Sabalenka’s rank returned to no. 2 as she remained undefeated in her 2023 campaign. 

Clement Lee (he/him) (24Ox) is from Virginia Beach, Virginia, and is on the pre-BBA track. Outside the Wheel, Clement can be found reading new books or going on long runs in the woods.