Senior guard Charlotte Lowndes dribbles past University of Chicago defender during a game on Jan. 27. (Natalie Sandlow/Staff)

Emory University women’s basketball senior Charlotte Lowndes was selected to the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) 20th annual “So You Want To Be A Coach” program on Jan. 24. The program recognizes 62 women’s basketball players from all collegiate levels who demonstrate dedication to the sport. The two-day workshop will take place March 30-31 in Dallas and will give current players a chance to develop essential coaching skills. 

Lowndes has been around the game of basketball for as long as she can remember. After playing four years as a starter at Bethesda Chevy-Chase High School in Maryland, she began her undergraduate career at Wesleyan University (Conn.) and transferred to Emory after her freshman year. Lowndes immediately relished the competitive nature of Emory’s women’s basketball team.

“I decided that my previous school was not the best fit and I wanted to go to a high academic competitive basketball school that was close to a city, and Emory fit all those criteria,” Lowndes said. “I talked to [Emory women’s basketball head] coach Misha Jackson (13C) and she made the opportunity to walk on, and I went through that process and I’ve been on the team ever since.”

Unfortunately, Lowndes’ sophomore season was disrupted by COVID-19. She faced another challenge the following season when she sustained a season-ending injury in the fourth game.  Being forced to sit on the sidelines gave Lowndes the unique opportunity to “see the game in a different perspective” and learn more about coaching. 

Lowndes applied for the WBCA program with the help of Jackson and assistant coach Alex Berman. After receiving the invitation, Lowndes became the fourth Emory women’s basketball player to be part of the program. Like Lowndes, Jackson also participated in the program in 2014.

“That was an amazing program for me,” Jackson said. “When you’re getting into coaching, it’s a big world and so it’s nice to come in with a smaller community. It’s a great way to network.”

The other Emory basketball alumni who have participated in this program are current Wheaton College (Ill.) assistant women’s basketball coach Allison Chernow (20C) and former Middlebury College (Vt.) assistant women’s basketball coach Savannah Morgan (14C).

Lowndes said that she is honored to have been selected, and she’s excited to attend the workshop in March.

“It means a lot [to receive the invitation],” Lowndes said. “I’m looking forward to going to this convention and learning more from different coaches and from different players about their experiences and the dedication and precision it takes to be an elite mastermind of the sport.”

Senior guard and forward Mariane Auza and sophomore forward Morgan Laudick are not surprised that Lowndes was recognized for her coaching potential. Laudick said Lowndes leads the team by example and always energizes the team with her positive attitude. Auza added that Lowndes knows the game of basketball “like the back of her hand” and always encourages her teammates to play at a high level. 

“Charlotte is one of the most hardworking players I’ve ever had the pleasure of being on a team with,” Auza said. “She’s always very optimistic and wants to have fun and always do her best.”

Laudick said Lowndes already possesses many important qualities which are needed to become a successful coach.

“She has a very high basketball IQ,” Laudick said. “She can push you in certain ways and tell you to keep going, tell you to shoot your shot and give you confidence, and I think that would be great attributes in a coach.”

Jackson described Lowndes as a selfless player who works hard to excel in both sports and academics. Lowndes is the type of person who always strives for perfection — whenever Lowndes’ shot hits the rim, she immediately wants to try again until she gets the perfect shot, Jackson added.

“She doesn’t not know how to go 100% at everything she does,” Jackson said. “She’s the sweetest person but the biggest competitor. She doesn’t do anything halfway.”

Lowndes said that she is strongly considering going into coaching after graduation, and Jackson believes that she already possesses many qualities of a great team leader.

“Charlotte will be perfect as a coach because she doesn’t look for gratitude,” Jackson said. “She’s not a taker, she’s a giver. Charlotte’s always the person that can give you criticism but she’s going to flip it and make it positive as well.”

Jackson and Lowndes agreed that the WBCA program is an amazing opportunity for young women to learn new perspectives on the game and serves as a helpful pathway into the world of coaching. 

“I think [the program is] great, especially promoting the women’s side and encouraging women that there is an opportunity to be a head coach and lead a team to success,” Lowndes said.

Madeline Shapiro (she/her) (26C) is from Stamford, Connecticut and is planning on majoring in creative writing and classic civilizations. She enjoys playing low-stakes games of soccer and spending time outdoors, as well as watching as many Premier League games as possible.