The Emory Wheel meets regularly with Emory Police Department (EPD) Records Manager Ed Shoemaker (87G, 90G) and EPD Communications Director Morieka Johnson (94C) and uses EPD’s public Crime Log to inform the Emory University community about recent crime on and around Emory’s campuses. 

To report a crime, contact EPD at 404-727-6111 or police@emory.edu.

Burglary, first degree, non-forcible entry; theft by taking (other motor vehicle)

On the evening of Feb. 17, a student who lives on the 12th floor of Clairmont Tower called EPD to report that his electric scooter was missing from his room.

The scooter is a Hiboy Model S2 Pro Electric Scooter for Commuting, which retails for about $710. The student said he last saw the scooter around 1:30 p.m. on Feb. 17 after leaving his apartment with the door unlocked.

There were no signs of forced entry, according to Shoemaker. He added that investigators are currently attempting to utilize the cameras in the building to find the thief.

“Don’t leave your apartment unlocked when nobody’s there,” Shoemaker said.”It really does create opportunities for thugs.”

Jack Rutherford/Staff Photographer

Burglary, first degree, non-forcible entry; obstructing a law enforcement officer, misdemeanor

Two students living in Eagle Hall reported seeing an unfamiliar man in the dorm on the afternoon of Feb. 16. They suspected he was not a student and thought the man resembled an individual who was in the building a week ago when a backpack containing an iPad, laptop, set of headphones and chargers was stolen. 

Sgt. Ayinde Luqman and Officer Trevon Hill, who were on patrol duty, responded to the call about the suspicious individual. The officers entered the dorm and saw that the man was carrying a black backpack that was similar to the stolen backpack and seemed older than college-age but did not appear to be a graduate student or employee, Shoemaker said.

The man avoided the officers, quickly walking out of the building. Then, the man started running across the bridge above Eagle Row, forcing Luqman to run after him while Hill attempted to cut him off at the other side of the bridge.

However, the man slid down the hill toward the railroad tracks and sprinted along the tracks toward Druid Hills High School. 

Lt. Anthony ReFour, Sgt. Karimah Fanning, Officer Shakera Bromfield and Major Thomas Manns heard over their radio that the suspect was trying to run and responded to the scene at the tracks. ReFour, the patrol supervisor, tackled the man and took him into custody.

After investigation, EPD determined that the man had a criminal record in other states consisting of burglary and theft, according to Shoemaker. EPD also discovered that the man possessed objects that appeared to have been from the backpack that was stolen from Eagle Hall on Feb. 13, such as a laptop. 

EPD took the man to DeKalb County Jail.

“We’re investigating the possibility that he is associated with the earlier incident that we had in Eagle Hall with the backpack that was stolen from the lobby there,” Shoemaker said. 

Harassing communications

At 6:30 a.m. on Feb. 16, an Emory Healthcare employee texted an ex-coworker asking why they had quit and did not get a response.

However, later in the day, Shoemaker said that the health care employee received a text message from an unknown number asking why the complainant was texting the other party’s girlfriend. The complainant was unaware that he was texting their girlfriend. 

The health care worker then received a phone call from the unknown phone number, and a man began yelling at him once he picked up.

“He said, ‘When I see you, I’m gonna slap the s*** out of you,’ and other endearments,” Shoemaker said.

The health care worker told the man he was going to call the police and then blocked him. He then filed a report with EPD. Emory Healthcare workers gave officers a name and phone number for the possible suspect.

“The employee contacted us as he does want to press charges over the threat made to him over the phone,” Shoemaker said. “He also said that his girlfriend and the other guy’s girlfriend are friends, which may have some bearing on one party knowing who the other one is and where he lives and where he works.”

The case has now been deferred to the complainant’s local police department, as EPD determined that all the communications took place outside the jurisdiction of their department, according to Shoemaker.

Alina Glass (she/her, 26C) is from Baltimore, Md. She is double majoring in psychology and anthropology. Apart from writing for the Wheel, Alina is the public relations chair for Circle K, a writer for the Association for Women in Science newsletter and a volunteer for Sprouting Readers. When she is not writing for the Wheel, Alina loves to run, bake and spend time with friends and family.