Aggravated sexual battery, assault

An aggravated sexual battery and aggravated assualt took place on Jan. 15 at the Sorority Lodge. There is an active investigation with a named survivor.

Since the investigation is active, Emory Police Department (EPD) Records Manager Ed Shoemaker did not provide the Wheel with additional details.

Car break-ins, theft over break

EPD responded to several cases of theft and burglary during winter break. While most students were off campus, there were four instances of vehicles broken into at Peavine parking deck, according to Shoemaker. 

One Jeep’s soft exterior was cut open and other cars’ windows were broken.

The owners of the vehicles have not returned to campus as of Jan. 22, so Shoemaker said EPD is unaware if items in the cars were taken. 

A student parked their bike on Dec. 15 at Woodruff Residential Center and came back on Jan. 4 to find their bicycle and lock gone. There were no cameras covering the bike rack.

EPD obtained the bike’s serial number. 

A Clifton Tower resident returned to their apartment on Jan. 9 after leaving it locked on Dec. 15 to find that it had been broken into. A set of headphones was taken.

Theft by receiving stolen property

EPD found an individual experiencing homelessness trying to enter the Woodruff Memorial Research Building on Dec. 17. The building was closed, so EPD drove him to a 24-hour Quiktrip so he would have somewhere open to be at night.

After he was dropped off, EPD realized he had an Emory laptop that was never reported missing by IT. Since he was not affiliated with the University, he was not authorized to have the laptop. 

EPD was unaware that the laptop was stolen until after they dropped him off.  EPD is still looking for the individual.

Criminal trespass at the AMUC

On Dec. 14, a director at the Alumni Memorial University Center (AMUC) encountered four unauthorized people in Centro Latinx. One person was an employee at Emory’s contract dining company Bon Appetit at the time. In the past, EPD had found the employee at “odd hours of the night” in other buildings, according to Shoemaker. 

All four were placed under arrest for trespassing. EPD gave them criminal trespass warnings, which means they could be arrested if they were found on Emory’s campus again. Shoemaker did not know the employment status of the Bon Appetit employee.

Two of the four people were wanted for crimes in other counties. One person was wanted for shoplifting in Bibb County, but they were not extradited because of COVID-19 protocols. The other, wanted for contempt of court in Chatham County, and was likely extradited, according to Shoemaker.

Kira Barich (she/they) (25C) is from Princeton, New Jersey and is majoring in political science and minoring in women’s, gender and sexuality studies. Outside of the Wheel, Kira is the vice president of inclusion for her sorority Pi Beta Phi. They are a runner and love any opportunity to start a new TV show.