Trigger Warning: This article contains references to sexual assault

Multiple aggravated assaults reported through Title IX office

Emory University’s Title IX office reported two aggravated assaults to the Emory Police Department (EPD) on Aug. 23 — one incident at Clairmont Tower and the other at a residence hall. While the Title IX office had contact with the original parties, EPD recorded the reports as anonymous.

Rape reported at the Schwartz Center 

EPD received an anonymous report of rape at the Schwartz Center for Performing Arts on Aug. 30. The EPD Crime Log states that the rape took place in February.

This report did not come through the Title IX office. Since the report was anonymous, EPD Records Manager Ed Shoemaker said they “actually know very little about it.”

“We’re obliged to put it in the log,” he added.

Courtesy of Emory University

Criminal trespass, entering a property for unlawful purposes 

On Sept. 2 at 6:30 a.m., EPD received a call from an Eagle Hall resident saying that an unknown male had entered their unlocked room.

The caller reported the suspect — a white male wearing a gray shirt and no undergarments — had defecated in their room and then left.

Shoemaker explained that the “subject had left the room by the time they called us,” so EPD was unable to locate the trespasser. It was unclear whether the subject was someone connected to the residence hall. 

EPD’s working theory is that the subject was intoxicated and did not know where he was, but Shoemaker said the case is still open for investigation.

Theft by deception

On Sept. 2, a student reported that they were defrauded of funds exceeding $1,500.

The student was contacted by someone who claimed to be working with the Customs and Border Protection agency and said they had intercepted a package with “large amounts of cocaine,” according to Shoemaker. The student was offered an “alternative dispute resolution number,” which would allow them to pay money up front to avoid prosecution. The suspect persuaded the student to withdraw more than $1,500 from their account and forward it to this resolution fund. 

The defrauder also asked the student to send a picture of themself, as they claimed the prosecutor was looking for someone with tattoos. The student did not have these tattoos and they were told that the prosecutor would be in touch, but they were not contacted again.

While the student has not been able to retrieve their money, Shoemaker said EPD is following a couple of leads.

Shoemaker advised students to be diligent when being asked to send funds.

“No prosecutor will ever try to resolve a case for cash,” Shoemaker said.

Frequent attempted fraud

Shoemaker and EPD Communications Director Morieka Johnson (94C) noted a recent rise in attempted fraud, which they said is “very commonly attempted” at the beginning of a new school year.

Students looking for jobs are common targets of fraud in recent times, EPD stated. In these situations, students have received emails from the alleged employer saying they will send a check for the student to spend on gift cards. Eventually, the checks bounce and the student is out of the money they’ve spent.

Three of these incidences of fraud have been reported to EPD since residence halls opened. Most students have been able to recognize the caller or emailer as a scam.

According to Shoemaker, several students have reported “Scott Michael” as a fake employer.

Johnson advised students to look out for warning signs of fraud.

“If they’re offering to pay you in gift cards … that’s a red flag,” Johnson said. 

She added that students should check on OPUS to see if alleged employers are affiliated with the school before taking any action.

Kira Barich (she/they) (25C) is from Princeton, New Jersey and is majoring in political science and minoring in women’s, gender and sexuality studies. Outside of the Wheel, Kira is the vice president of inclusion for her sorority Pi Beta Phi. They are a runner and love any opportunity to start a new TV show.