Minimal EPD activity at Dooley Palooza concert

After reports of sexual battery at Student Programming Council’s Homecoming concert in the fall, the Emory Police Department (EPD) anticipated a high level of activity the night of the Dooely’s Week concert on April 1.

EPD Records Manager Ed Shoemaker said he was “actually kinda surprised” there weren’t many issues.

Overall, EPD Communications Director Morieka Johnson said it was “a lot milder” than the concert in the fall.

Possession, and use of drug-related objects at 22 Eagle Row

A resident advisor (RA) at 22 Eagle Row, the Black Student Alliance House, found drug-related contraband on March 30. The RA told EPD that while he was checking a room, he found lighters and a bong. He also identified what he thought was a cup of smoked blunts. No one was in the room to take ownership of their items.

The EPD officer took custody of the items. Upon further examination, the blunts were actually cigarettes. EPD disposed of them along with the lighters. The bong is still in police custody.

The confiscation of the cigarettes was based on Emory being a smoke-free campus.

“It’s contraband in the context of the University,” Shoemaker said.

Though the bong is still in EPD’s custody, this case is now closed.

“Because there’s no one to associate the bong with, this case has no future,” Shoemaker said.

Harassing communications 

On March 25, a female student informed EPD that she had been receiving inappropriate emails and texts from her ex-boyfriend, who was a former Emory student.

Her ex-boyfriend had also posted inappropriate messages about her on social media. She filed a complaint with EPD to help her understand how to navigate her options in this situation. The case has been referred to an investigator.

Disorderly conduct on Emory shuttle

On March 24, EPD received a complaint from the assistant manager of the Emory shuttle service. According to the complaint, an unknown female passenger had entered the bus that morning. After the driver had asked her to put on a mask, she became “verbally aggressive” and used “profane language,” Shoemaker said.

Apparently, the passenger had been using the shuttles that week to go from Woodruff Circle to Emory University Hospital Midtown and had been exhibiting similar conduct all week, Shoemaker added. The shuttle service said she is no longer permitted to use Emory shuttles.

Kira Barich (she/they) (25C) is from Princeton, New Jersey and is majoring in political science and minoring in women’s, gender and sexuality studies. Outside of the Wheel, Kira is the vice president of inclusion for her sorority Pi Beta Phi. They are a runner and love any opportunity to start a new TV show.