Shock, sadness, relief, fear and apathy. These represent the range of emotions felt by Catholics all over the world as Pope Benedict XVI announced his resignation this week – a resignation which does not step outside of his character.

But who is this octogenarian German Pope? Christians and non-Christians alike were all familiar with the previous leader of the Roman Catholic Church, John Paul II.

Benedict remains more enigmatic. Elizabeth Scalia, Catholic editor of Patheos Internet portal, said that “[Benedict] is warm, pastoral, approachable, quite paternal and as easy to glean as a dear old uncle sharing fellowship over a cup of tea.

John Paul was a mighty pipe organ, dramatic, transcendent, soul-rattling – almost overwhelming. He brought you to your knees, before God in hushed awe. Benedict is a piano being played by a musician who plays for love of the music, and he draws you into his sphere to sing along in praise.”

John Paul’s papacy was dramatic, energetic, emotional, awe-inspiring and engaging. Who can duplicate the part the Polish pope played in the fall of the Iron Curtain? In contrast, Benedict has been a theologian and a professor most of his life. While John Paul was a master in engaging a crowd, Benedict seemed a little overwhelmed when facing so many people.

While John Paul II externally expanded the Church, Benedict XVI continued this spirit of globalization by strengthening the inner life of the Church. Pope Benedict’s encyclicals and books are very accessible. While they were scholarly, they were able to remain deeply personal.

His recent books have focused upon the New Testament as the way to encounter the person and mission of Jesus Christ.

He defended the dignity of human life against relativism; he spoke of the importance of conserving the environment.

During a short pontificate of eight years, he was the pastor for his 1.2 billion flock of Catholics with 54 journeys throughout the world.

He was still able to ensure weekly Wednesday teachings and uphold his Twitter ministry.

In an age consumed by worldly materialism, self-touting narcissism and inflated over-confidence, Benedict’s gentle humility is seriously refreshing.

His resignation reveals what most people forget Catholics believe about the pope: he, too, is “a humble servant in the vineyard of our Lord.”

Amelia Sims is a College freshman from Memphis, Tenn.