I read an article recently on ESPN that discussed possible trade options for NFL teams that are either underachieving or one piece away from contention. It was an interesting article, not because of its content, but because it was written prior to Week 8 of this NFL season.

Due to the changes in the new collective bargaining agreement, the NFL had agreed to move its trade deadline back two weeks, allowing for teams to get a better picture of where they stand and make their moves accordingly. The problem is that trades rarely happen during the NFL season; generally they occur around draft time, involving picks.

I have a solution to this problem that would not only increase the trade market but also create a lot more buzz during the last few weeks of the season: move the trade deadline to week 13. Teams that are in contention have only three weeks left to make an impact, while teams that are out of contention only have three weeks to bottom out and gain a high draft pick. If those bad teams could trade their under-performing stars that late and get a first round pick, not only would they have more tools to get better in the off-season, but also the good teams would get better, creating an even more competitive playoff atmosphere.

Roger Goodell, I am not saying that you absolutely must do this, but considering how essentially everything you have done this season has been controversial, this is possibly exactly what the NFL needs. Just a thought – now on to the picks (HOME TEAM IN CAPS).

Seattle Seahawks at DETROIT LIONS

There are two ways to look at this game. The first is to recognize how Seattle has one of the best defenses and run offenses in the game and how their 4-3 record does not speak to how good of a team they are because they have kept every game close. Fair. The second is to look at Detroit as an underachieving powerhouse, a la San Diego Chargers every start of the season, and look at this week as a bust-out-of-the-bushes game. I tend to view it as the first. Seattle needs a bit more consistent quarterback play to get good, but in this game, I see the Seahawks controlling Matthew Stafford and the Seattle running attack going off. There are a lot of carries to be had, so watch Robert Turbin this week, especially if Marshawn Lynch cannot play. Seattle 24 DETROIT 10

Atlanta Falcons at PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

It is hard not to be on the Falcons’ bandwagon at this point. It has been their great offense, finally in sync with a great defense leading to easy victories and an undefeated slate thus far. Right? Wrong. Dead wrong. The Falcons have had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league, a mediocre pass defense and an atrocious run defense. Their success has solely been based upon clutch play by their quarterback and timely stops by their defense. Otherwise, the Falcons could easily be at 3-4 and Mike Smith could be out of a job. However, the Eagles are in turmoil. They have just fired their defensive coordinator, and their offense is in a rut. However, I believe that this will be motivation to come out strong, and in front of their home crowd, they will pull off the upset. Keep an eye on Jacquizz Rodgers this week. PHILADELPHIA 31 Atlanta 27

New York Giants at DALLAS COWBOYS

I am pretty upset about how I was almost basically practically right last weekend with my pick, until Eli turned on Eli (sounds much better with Brady) and took the Giants into the promised land. And then, if they weren’t rated properly enough, DeAngelo Hall took a stab at the Giants, once again making them look like the no-one-believes-in-us team again.

I think the NFL is corrupt and has some sort of Ponzi scheme keeping the Giants in this mentality all season, and not just for the playoffs. I also might not have a full grasp on what a Ponzi scheme is. But I think the Giants are going to wipe the floor with the Cowboys or get wiped. Because there is no way Eli Manning is ever going to lose a close game again, period. And I have enough faith in him to pick the Giants. Look at Ramses Barden to put up a huge game; Dallas has two good cornerbacks, and that’s it. Giants 34 DALLAS 17

New Orleans Saints at DENVER BRONCOS

So basically, what we have here is a Saints team that started out awfully but has played with some sort of dignity these past few games against a Peyton Manning-led Broncos team that just orchestrated an exceptional comeback. There was actually an article written on ESPN about how the Denver Broncos are sneakily the best team in the AFC.

I will not make a comment about that, but one thing that has been written in most of my articles is how I am not a believer in the Denver Broncos. Their running attack is atrocious, the wide receiving corps is too young and the defense just has not hit their stride. Is there a chance that they can change things around and possibly make a run at the Super Bowl? Possibly.

That is the beauty of the NFL. A team can wander in relative mediocrity for 15 weeks of the season, turn on the jets and win the Super Bowl. However, those jets are not being turned on this week, and I believe the Saints will come out on top. But it will be close. Any wide receiver on New Orleans is usually a good bet, but I think that Devery Henderson and Lance Moore will get a lot of looks with Marques Colston being locked down by Champ Bailey. New Orleans 28 DENVER 24

Last week, my prediction of the Flacco-Schaub competition of who was going to be the worst quarterback was almost spot-on. My Redskins pick was almost nailed inside of two minutes before Eli said no.

But that’s the beauty of sports, as long as you didn’t have money on the wrong side. And I am looking forward to enjoying all that beauty now that I have finished my tests and can afford to relax all weekend long. Everyone enjoy Halloween weekend part one safely. Let’s hope I’m right.

By Jayson Patel