(Courtesy Big Hit Music)

Following his six bandmates’ solo artist debut, V became the last BTS member to release solo music. “Layover,” which was released on Sept. 8, features five moody alternative R&B songs about uncertainty and heartbreak in a romantic relationship. The album also includes a piano version of the title track “Slow Dancing” as the closing song.

V unveiled two tracks prior to the album’s release: “Love Me Again” and “Rainy Days.” This increased his fans’ anticipation for the rest of the album. Unlike his other bandmates, V’s tracklist and lyricism focus strictly on romantic love.

In “Rainy Days,” the album’s opening track, V sings about longing for an ex-lover, wishing to “Find the way / Right back to you.” V’s husky voice and the rain ambiance in the background with lo-fi beats layered on top make the track charming.

In “Blue,” V addresses a melancholy current lover whom the singer struggles to communicate with. He repeatedly sings “blue” in his dispirited yet melodic voice to express his frustration toward his lover’s misery that is “sinking [him] too.” The simple underlying guitar melodies, along with the repeated lyrics, allude to an endless cycle of agony in the relationship.

“Love Me Again” is the catchiest song on the album. V longs for an ex-lover, insisting “No, I don’t want nobody else.” The song spirals into a flurry of questions for the ex-lover, wondering “With whom, where and what do you do” and asking “Are you okay with someone else next to me?” “Love Me Again” sounds like an extension of “Rainy Days,” where the never-ending train of thoughts about the ex-lover began.

In the album’s title track, “Slow Dancing,” V switches the focus back to a current relationship, however this relationship has doubts. The song delivers the most laid-back romantic feelings on the album. Listeners can hear these emotions in the soothing flute melodies in between V’s vocals and the lyrics focusing on the present romance, despite the relationship’s uncertainty.

The album’s only all-English track, “For Us,” circles back to a broken heart over a failed relationship. V sings, “And it breaks my heart / That we gave it our best shot.” The song’s frequent switch between high-pitch and untuned verses engages the listener’s ears. “For Us” also marks a calming conclusion to the album, leaving lingering feelings of a regretful breakup. The song expresses that after all, the singer is “still waiting” for his ex-lover. The final 30 seconds of “For Us” are dedicated to lyrical piano melodies that bring the warm album to an end.

Two of the most recent BTS members’ solo debuts — Jimin’s “FACE” and Jungkook’s “Seven” — are more pop-leaning, while V’s “Layover” tilts into his love of jazz, which may not hit the charts well. Instead, “Layover” is a well-put-together soft listen for all those who enjoy love stories, R&B music or V’s alluring vocals. This is notably the most relaxed set of songs from a BTS member, perfect for anyone looking for new additions to their study or relaxing playlist.

Ellen Choi (25B, 23Ox) is a native of both South Korea and San Jose, California, currently studying Marketing and Film & Media Management with a minor in East Asian Studies. Her multicultural background fuels her passion for entertainment and marketing, inspiring her to craft compelling narratives that offer unique perspectives for The Wheel. She also serves as a Sponsored Content Coordinator for The Wheel, combining her writing talents with her marketing expertise. Outside of her professional pursuits, Ellen enjoys narrating creative music playlists on WMRE, Emory's student radio, dancing with her BlaeZ Dance Team teammates, and savoring culinary delights.