I tend to see art as quite a broad category in my life, even if that is simply the artistic quality of a conversation, an outfit, a meal, a tree or a laugh. Celebrating the art of the everyday has acted as a guiding principle for me when navigating the complexity and pressures of 2022. Seeking out artistic experiences as a mode of embracing emotionality, expanding my world view, escaping the stress of my life and engaging with my community has been key to my year. Even if the following list may seem random, these 10 intentional artistic engagements were emblematic of and helped me get through my 2022.

1. ‘Theaster Gates: Young Lords and Their Traces’ exhibition

As a visual arts writer, I had to start this list with one of the most impactful museum exhibitions I engaged with this year. Gates is a fellow Chicagoan and founder of the Rebuild Foundation who is known for his multimedia-installation artworks that engage an array of pertinent topics including urban planning, religious space, loss and archival narratives.

Courtesy of Dario Lasagni.

In this specific exhibit, Gates worked across mediums to address loss and memory by honoring heroic figures in both his own life and the life of this entire country. The formation and presentation of knowledge, through both historical object archives and personal artworks, made me feel as though I was simultaneously walking through somebody’s home and a grand cathedral.

2. ‘The Sioux Chef’s Indigenous Kitchen’ (2017) by Sean Sherman

While a cookbook may not initially come to mind when you think of art, the art of writing a cookbook is as much a creative and challenging process as writing a novel. Chef Sean Sherman, an Oglala Lakota Sioux chef and founder of The Sioux Chef food education business, works to promote Indigenous cuisine, foraging, food access and cultural communication throughout his career and in this book. Even if you don’t love cooking, this book is worth the read for the compelling narratives and representation of modern Indigenous cuisine. Sherman uses no dairy, sugar or products of European import in these recipes, relying on ingredients that have been part of native food culture for centuries.  

3. ‘Moulin Rouge! The Musical’ (2018) 

If you are also on the Broadway side of TikTok, then I am sure you’ve seen the clip of Aaron Tveit belting out the last few lines of the iconic tune: “El Tango De Roxanne.” This Tony-award winning musical is an adaptation of Baz Luhrmann’s film by the same name and celebrates the Bohemian ideals of truth, beauty, freedom and love. It has that typical, shiny Broadway idealism and glamor combined with the pain and grit that makes you cry at the end. The set and costume design alone is breathtakingly immersive, and, being a jukebox musical, the entire thing is perfect for a sing-along. I felt so lucky to be able to see it on Broadway this year.

4. ‘The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces’ (1980)

This documentary, based on the book by the same name, focused on a revolutionary study conducted by William H. Whyte in 1979. Through visual and numerical observation, Whyte is able to track what makes public space, like the iconic New York City plazas he observes, livable, functional and enjoyable. This short documentary is 58 minutes of fascinating narration describing Whyte’s unique observations. It is a thrill to engage with a work so seminal to the field of urban public space planning.

5. ‘RENAISSANCE’ (2022) by Beyoncé

As one of the top five albums from my 2022 Spotify Wrapped, this is a must add to my list, and, even though it may seem a bit cliché, Beyoncé continues to touch the hearts and minds of people all around the world. Ben Brodsky’s (25C) review of this album really says it all, describing the album as being full of “unabashed joy” and “dynamism.” With more than 104 artists collaborating on this album, it is a completely new sound that left me feeling refreshed and inspired for the rest of the year. 

Courtesy of Pitchfork.

6. ‘The Gilded Wolves’ trilogy by Roshani Chokshi

I needed a comfort book this year, and, between all the readings for my courses and research papers, I had no more brain space left for a challenging read. I needed some escapism, which this Gilded Age, young adult fantasy heist provided. Chokshi is an Emory alum herself and, while this is not the most complex novel, her writing is importantly incisive toward institutions of power, especially colonial power in Europe, while also being accessible and enjoyable. I saw myself reflected in the struggles and identities of the characters she writes, and I am always a sucker for witty dialogue amongst a motley crew (i.e Six of Crows, Our Flag Means Death, She-Ra).

7. ‘Rent’ (2005)

In 2021, “tick, tick…BOOM!” came out on Netflix and brought to life the autobiographical story of Jonathan Larson. Larson was a brilliant composer and lyricist who transformed the genre of rock musical that we are familiar with today. He wrote “Rent” (1996) the Tony and Pulitzer Award-winning musical about love, resilience, queer identity, the AIDS epidemic and artistic freedom. I continue to be haunted by the fact that Larson passed away on the opening night of “Rent,” and never got to see the international sensation that his musical became. This year, I was able to finally watch the star-stunning, beautiful and heart-wrenching movie adaptation of “Rent,” and I am so glad I did. 

8. ‘Nick Cave: Forothermore’ exhibition

This exhibition, which I was able to see at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago (on my birthday this year), was another game-changing artistic experience. Cave is a master at celebrating the joy, sorrow, need for protection, close-knit community and beauty that comes with holding intersectional identities, as a Black, gay man himself. This exhibition was the first career-spanning retrospective about his work, and it was incredibly sensory, with vibrant colors, unusual textures, undulating scales, eye-catching movements and haunting sounds filling the space. Cave may be best known for his Afrofuturist “Soundsuits” series, but they were made all the more powerful in conversation with his other works, including “Spinner Forest,” an installation specific to the MCA.

Courtesy of James Prinz.

9. ‘On the Job’ with Priya Krishna

After the Bon Appétit blowup of 2020, during which many beloved stars of their YouTube channel left, there was a major hole in my food journalism content. Luckily, NYT Cooking’s YouTube channel, specifically revived by past Bon Appétit star Priya Krishna, filled that void. Krishna has written multiple cookbooks and worked for many food media companies, but, as of 2022, my favorite segment she created is called “On the Job.” Krishna shadows a culinary arts professional for a day, specifically those that pass under the radar, like cafeteria workers or street food vendors. Her food journalism is the kind I want to support and the kind that I want to put on while I eat dinner after a long day.

10. ‘Revelations’ by Alvin Ailey

My mother used to be a dancer, and so I grew up in a household filled with music, movement and, most importantly, education about dance history. I remember her teaching me about Alvin Ailey, one of the greatest American choreographers of all time and founder of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. He broke down barriers in the dance world by creating a professional dance company that centers Black stories and dancers. “Revelations” is his most popular and acclaimed work, which I was lucky enough to see performed live this year. It is the kind of dance that both haunts and inspires, leaving you in tears and in awe.

Chickering’s article is part of a year in review series by A&E writers. Read the rest here.

Zimra Chickering (24C) is a born and raised Chicagoan who studies art history and nutrition science. She is also a student docent for the Michael C. Carlos Museum, Woodruff JEDI Fellow, educational committee chair for Slow Food Emory, and Xocolatl: Small Batch Chocolate employee. Zimra loves cooking, visiting art museums, photography, doing Muay Thai, drinking coffee, and grocery shopping. She uses writing as an outlet to reflect upon issues and oppurtunities within artistic institutions, and the unique ways in which food and art can act as communicators of culture.