Sam Bartlett / The Emory Wheel

“I’ll see you at the Grammys,” Pusha T said, as he confidently exited the Coca Cola Roxy stage on Oct. 14, the crowd roaring at his bold statement. Throughout his performance, the rapper repeatedly referenced his 2022 album “It’s Almost Dry” as the “Rap Album of the Year.” The phrase was even written on his set design. While a Grammy is never guaranteed, Pusha T gave an award-worthy performance, and the crowd was with him every step of the way. 

Terrence Thornton, more commonly known as Pusha T, first gained fame as part of hip-hop duo Clipse, which he formed with his brother in 1994. After going on hiatus from Clipse in 2010, Pusha T’s frequent collaboration with hip-hop superstar Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, took his stardom to another level. To this day, Pusha T is one of the most recognizable voices in “coke rap,” a subgenre of hip-hop that lyrically focuses on the dealing of cocaine. 

The opening artist, IDK, warmed up the crowd. Even though most of the audience didn’t sing along as they weren’t familiar with his music, the British-American rapper kept the crowd engaged with his high energy. IDK quickly gained the favor of the audience, splitting the crowd for a wall of death and reciting a poem to a group of girls in the crowd. He ended his set, receiving “one more song” chants, to which he obliged.

After IDK’s impressive performance, Pusha T took the Coca-Cola Roxy to another level with “Let the Smokers Shine the Coupe.” Despite the smaller venue, the crowd felt stadium sized when Pusha T took the stage. Even someone who had never heard of him would have gotten excited with the rapper’s energy and intensity. Pusha T’s stage presence was electric, magnetic and even frightening at times. Between his jerky head movements and intense stare, the rapper seemed crazed, perfectly embodying the villain persona he is well known for.

On top of his energy, Pusha T perfectly rapped his songs, not missing a single beat. He went lyric-for-lyric with various die-hard fans in the audience, including Lou Williams, formerly of the Atlanta Hawks. But die-hard fans weren’t the only ones enjoying themselves; Pusha T pulled tracks from across his entire discography, including features. 

For newer listeners, Pusha T performed the hits from the tour’s namesake, such as “Call My Bluff” and “Dreamin of the Past.” He surprised longtime listeners with tracks going back to his time with Clipse. For casual fans, Pusha T performed several of his popular features on songs with Ye, such as “Mercy” and “Runaway.” And of course, he did many of his classics from his critically acclaimed album, “Daytona.” 

Push’s whole set was incredible, but his performance of “If You Know You Know,” from “Daytona,” stands out. For this track, Pusha T rapidly spit the opening lines over no instrumental, then the beat dropped and the crowd went wild. “If You Know You Know” is one of his most popular tracks amongst all his fans, so the energy in the room was dangerously high. After seeing clips of Pusha T performing this song at Pharell Williams’s “Something in the Water” festival, my expectations were high, and I was not disappointed.

I was looking forward to Pusha T’s iconic laugh, a staple of his joker-like persona. Again, the rapper delivered: his DJ played the laugh soundbite after almost every song, which never tired the crowd. 

Pusha T was an enthralling live performer. His energy and clear dedication to his music has cemented him as a coke rap icon in my mind. When his set ended, the crowd unsurprisingly demanded an encore. At this, Pusha T quickly returned to the stage for one last song, rapping his verse on Ye’s track “I’m So Appalled.” When I first saw “Rap Album of the Year” written on Push’s set, I had my doubts. Now, after this unforgettable live performance, I would not be surprised if “It’s Almost Dry” receives some recognition at the Grammys.

Samuel Bartlett (26C, he/him) is from Durham, North Carolina whose major is undecided. Outside of the Wheel, Bartlett is involved with the Emory Climate Reality Project as an executive, helping plan events to raise awareness about climate change. He loves watching UNC basketball and exploring Atlanta.