Everything old is new again, and this fall semester students are sporting the ultimate comeback trend: overalls. Using the quad as their runway, students have embraced the piece’s simplicity while adding unique layers and accessories for an individual touch.

In contrast to the current fashion statement of overalls in 2022, their beginnings were humble and utilitarian. They emerged in agrarian society, as farmers and fishermen utilized denim jumpsuits as their everyday outfits. The thick and durable material protected them from debris, dirt and other contaminants. In recent years, overalls transitioned from strictly dress for laborers to a widely-worn and fashionable outfit.

Among the many resurging trends including workout one-pieces, mom jeans and converse, overalls are a refreshing addition to modern fashion. The outfit embodies the sentiment of 2022 streetwear because they are easy to style, fun to wear and comfortable.

Khushi Niyyar wears light-wash, cut-off overalls on top of a black short-sleeve top. (Catherine Goodman/Contributing Writer)

Khushi Niyyar (26C) said she felt “ecstatic” about the return of overalls. Her take on the item was simple and refined. She wore light-wash, cut-off overalls on top of a black short-sleeve top paired with white sneakers and gold accessories. Niyyar said she regularly wears overalls, but that Tuesday she wore them for a special occasion.

“It’s farmer’s market Tuesday,” Niyyar said. “I had to bring out the overalls.”

Other students expressed their desire to separate overalls from their agrarian roots. Areej Nazir (25C) said she wears her overalls in a “cute, quirky fall way, not farm girl way.” Her outfit included full-pant overalls, a light pink short sleeve top and white converse.

Areej Nazir (25C) wears full-pant overalls, a light pink short sleeve top and white converse. (Catherine Goodman/Contributing Writer)

The accessories, shoes, and layers are one of the defining and most attractive qualities of overalls; freedom for individuality. Sandy Askins (26C) sported cropped, khaki overalls, over a long-sleeve black shirt. While the piece’s fit remained the same, the entire aesthetic was widely different. Walking down Clifton Road, she sported the piece with a little more grunge than our other models. The darker tones, partnered with silver jewelry and flawless eyeliner, added an edge to the youthful khaki overalls. She also carried a box of vanilla wafers: a true style choice.

Askins said that overalls permit freedom of expression, but she also adores them for their simplicity.

“They are thrifted and remind me of Eerie, Pennsylvania—where I’m from,” Askins said. “It’s a dress, but you still get to wear a shirt.”

Sandy Askins (26C) wears a cropped, khaki overalls overalls over a long-sleeve black shirt. (Catherine Goodman/Contributing Writer)

Overalls are easy to style, as they require minimal thought processes, eliminating the threat of mismatching patterns or fits. They are game changers in their simplicity, especially for Emory students who have greater stresses to consider than getting dressed. Overalls save time in the morning, while still providing a unique campus outfit.

Because consumers are never satisfied and fashion is made to be bold, overalls are becoming as unique as their wearers. New trends such as overall dresses, vegan overalls and vibrant patterns and colors are becoming increasingly popular among designers—for example, FRAME, who prices their classy, leather overalls at a mere $1,095. Who knows what we will be seeing on campus by next spring?

Catherine Goodman is from Savannah, GA. She is majoring in English and Art History. Outside of the wheel, Goodman is the President of Women’s Club Basketball and a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. She loves listening to music, attending concerts, reformer pilates and reality TV!