The Emory Wheel’s Managing Editor Madi Olivier (25C), who oversees the news section and the diversity, equity and inclusion task force, and Managing Editor Sophia Peyser (25C), who oversees the opinion section and the Editorial Board, were elected as editors-in-chief on Feb. 15.

Olivier and Peyser ran unopposed. Out of 36 eligible voters, 69.4% of eligible voters cast ballots. Olivier and Peyser received 25 votes. They will take on their editor-in-chief position on March 18.

Outgoing Editor-in-Chief Matthew Chupack (24C) voiced confidence in his successors to “take the paper in a positive direction and expand on a lot of new initiatives.” Chupack also highlighted the distinct journalism experience that Olivier and Peyser hold.

“It’s really beneficial that Sophia is coming from opinion and Madi is coming from news because they both have very different but important [perspectives] from their respective backgrounds on the Wheel that they’re going to be able to bring together into one cohesive leadership team,” Chupack said.

Madi Olivier (25C) (left) and Sophia Peyser (25C) will assume the position of editors-in-chief on March 18. (Yashonandan Kakrania/Senior Staff Writer)

Both Olivier and Peyser joined the Wheel as freshmen and have been writers and editors for almost three years. Each said they love the Wheel’s community.

“I’ve made most of my really close friends at college through the Wheel, and I’ve really liked production nights,” Olivier said. “I know obviously it’s a hard job. You’re there until sometimes as late as, I’ve been there 4 [or] 5 a.m. before on production nights, but it’s worth it when you love the people who you’re doing it with.”

Peyser shares similar sentiments of a strong community bond at the Wheel. 

“It’s a mixture of actual journalistic responsibility we have and a role we’re playing in the community and also, I’ve had a really, really fun time here,” Peyser said. “I love everybody I’ve met and I’m really happy to have had the Wheel as a community.”

Both incoming editors-in-chief wish to take their love for the Wheel community and bring it to all members, according to their platform. When speaking about their platform and ideas for the Wheel’s future, Peyser shared that they wish to prioritize community building and efficiency, as well as mental health breaks. 

“We’ve both felt overwhelmed by work here and then I just don’t know what to do about this,” Peyser said. “We wish that there was some sort of really standardized procedure for what to do when you’re feeling overwhelmed.”

Managing Editor Claire Fenton (24C), who oversees the multimedia section, has gotten the chance to work closely with both Olivier and Peyser. Their platform appealed to her because of their focus on maintaining a strong community.

“It’s always more enjoyable if you get along with the people that you work with and look forward to coming to meetings and look forward to seeing them and catching up with them on a personal level while also doing the journalistic work that we do,” Fenton said.

A driving factor for both Peyser and Olivier running for editor-in-chief together was wanting to make sure that the Wheel is a happy and safe place for everyone, Peyser said.

Another idea the upcoming editors-in-chief have is to implement deputy editors to support the core editorial staff. They feel extra manpower is needed for certain projects and that this will help sections run more efficiently, according to Peyser. 

In addition, they plan to hold editor and contributor training retreats to “make sure everyone’s on the same page in terms of knowledge and Wheel policies and general journalism practices,” Peyser said.

Acknowledging the difficulty that comes with not being able to anticipate every issue that may arise in this role, outgoing Editor-in-Chief Sarah Davis (22Ox, 24C) advised Olivier and Peyser to be open-minded. 

“It’s difficult to anticipate everything, every issue that you’re going to face stepping into this role,” Davis said. “Every week, there is a new challenge that I never expected to have to navigate.”

Davis also highlighted the importance of relying on the executive board. 

“I hope that they utilize their exec board,” Davis said. “I’m sure it will be very strong and also just find a good working relationship together, which I think they already have.”

Moving into the spring semester and beyond, News Editor Spencer Friedland (26C) is looking forward to seeing all that Olivier and Peyser will accomplish with their new roles.

“I’m really excited to get to work with Sophia and Madi in the upcoming year,” Friedland said. “I think they’re both incredible at their jobs, and I’m really happy that they decided to run for EIC elections and everyone voted for them.”