Senior midfielder Tyler Walsh scores the Eagles’ lone goal in match against Oglethorpe University (Ga.). Emory fell 2-1 at home to the Stormy Petrels on Oct. 16. Kushal Bafna/Contributing

The Emory men’s soccer team suffered a trio of heartbreaking losses by conceding late goals to New York University (NYU) on Oct. 12, Brandeis University (Mass.) on Oct. 14 and Oglethorpe University (Ga.) on Oct. 16.

The Eagles kicked off the weekend against the NYU Violets, losing 1-0 in a University Athletic Association (UAA) game at Gaelic Park in Riverdale, N.Y.

NYU sophomore forward Maxi Rodriguez knocked in the only goal of the game, capitalizing off a rebound in the 81st minute. Emory sophomore goalkeeper Cole Gallagher made a fantastic save to stave off a shot from NYU freshman forward Oliver Kleban. But Rodriguez was in prime position to score his fourth goal of the season off the post.

Even after the late goal, the Eagles had a number of chances to tie the game. NYU senior goalkeeper Grant Engel made two spectacular saves to deny Emory senior midfielder Tyler Santee from scoring two back-to-back headers, separated by a minute. Junior midfielder William Jones also had a shot from within the box that Engel saved, securing the victory for the Violets.

Senior midfielder and co-captain Tyler Santee eyes the ball in a match against Oglethorpe. Kushal Bafna/Contributing

“We do finishing every day at training,” Head Coach Cory Greiner said. “It’s important especially when you’re in a funk and you’re not struggling to score goals. Forwards and the guys in attacking positions need to see the ball hitting the net on a regular basis.”

The Eagles lost their second game of the weekend 1-0 in the dying moments of the game against the Brandeis Judges at Gordon Field in Waltham, Mass.

Brandeis senior forward Andrew Allen scored the lone goal with 14.5 seconds left in double overtime. Allen also scored off the post on his own rebound after a group of Eagle defenders blocked the initial shot, giving the Judges the win.

Brandeis dominated most of the game with nine more total shots, holding the Eagles to two shots on goal. Although the game ended in defeat, Gallagher impressed during the game with seven saves, tying his previous career-high.

“We all go through our ups and downs,” Gallagher said. “It’s always going to be frustrating when we’re in a patch like this. Right now, all we can do is stick together as a team, as friends, as brothers.

Senior forward and co-captain Moustafa Khattab fights to keep possession against an Oglethorpe defender. Kushal Bafna/Contributing

The Eagles could not stop their losing streak as they lost to Oglethorpe, 2-1, on Oct. 16 at the WoodPEC.

The first half was scoreless and thus mostly uneventful. However, after the break, Oglethorpe found the goal in the 50th minute through freshman midfielder Angel Guevara. Eagle senior midfielder Tyler Walsh equalized eight minutes later off a pass from sophomore midfielder Max Mehlman.

The Stormy Petrels found the game-winner in the 73rd minute when freshman forward Abraham Lopez netted in from the near post.

Sophomore goalkeeper Cole Gallagher sets up a goal kick in a match against Oglethorpe. Kushal Bafna/Contributing

Emory will continue to try to find answers on Oct. 21 in a non-conference game against Berry College (Ga.).  

“We’ve had five games in the last 10 days, so … we’re going to take some time off,” Greiner said. “We’re going to take a couple days to relax, rest, recover, get away from soccer to gear back again for the weekend.”