The Emory University women’s soccer team missed out on a spot in the Elite Eight after a 1-0 loss to the Messiah University (Pa.) Falcons on Nov. 19 in Pittsburgh. The Eagles reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Division III Women’s Soccer Championship for the first time since 2013 and finished the season with a 13-5-1 record.

The Eagles and Falcons previously met in the 2012 NCAA Tournament final where the Falcons won by the same 1-0 scoreline. Heading into this game, the No. 18 Eagles were the underdogs against the No. 5 Falcons but were hoping to build on the momentum of their 4-3 second-round win against Centre College (Ky.) on Nov. 13.

“The entire season, we actually had never come back from being behind to win a game until we played against Centre,” graduate defender Ciannah Correa said. “It was a mental reset that we can do this.”

The Eagles dominated the first half of the game against the Falcons, outshooting their opponents 5-1 and controlling possession. Correa and freshman defender Rylie Miller formed a strong defensive wall that limited the threat of Messiah’s attack. Late in the first half, a Messiah forward nearly ran past the entire Eagles defense for an open shot on goal, but Correa knocked the ball out of the forward’s path to keep the game scoreless. 

“We worked so much on defense leading up to [the game],” Correa said. “Everyone stepped up, knowing where they had to be and doing what they needed to do. It was honestly one of the best displays of team defense that I’ve ever been a part of.”

The Falcons broke the tie three minutes into the second half when Messiah senior midfielder Korinne Kovatch scored a header off a corner kick. Graduate midfielder Mara Rodriguez tested Messiah freshman goalie Ava Wert with two long range shots, but the Eagles struggled to create clear scoring opportunities after conceding the early goal. 

Both teams had chances to score late in the game. Kovatch’s shot from close range to double Messiah’s lead was saved by senior goalie Emma Miller, giving the Eagles hope of forcing the game into overtime. One last offensive opportunity fell to Correa in the final minutes, but a wall of Messiah defenders blocked her shot to knock the Eagles out of the 2022 Tournament.

Correa praised the team’s growth and improvement over the entire season but said that the third-round loss by a goal was a disappointing result.

“We were so close to winning that game and getting to the next round, so it was heartbreaking,” Correa said. “We made history as the first team in 10 years to get to the Sweet 16, but we knew that we had the potential to keep going forward.”

Correa previously played for Pomona College (Calif.) and said that it was exciting to come out of collegiate retirement to spend her final season at Emory. For Correa, the highlights of the season were playing for such a competitive team and mentoring the younger players during an incredible season. 

“[This season] was a great closure to my career,” Correa said. “I came out of that game against Messiah feeling so proud of what we had done as a team. I’m so glad that I could be a part of facilitating that growth.”

Correa said that she hopes the team’s achievements this season will “open the floodgates” for future success. 

Graduate midfielder Mara Rodriguez passing the ball during a match against Centre College (Ky.). The Eagles later won the game in overtime through a penalty shootout. (Natalie Sandlow/Staff)

Madeline Shapiro (she/her) (26C) is from Stamford, Connecticut and is planning on majoring in creative writing and classic civilizations. She enjoys playing low-stakes games of soccer and spending time outdoors, as well as watching as many Premier League games as possible.