The Emory women’s golf team finished No. 7 out of 12 teams in the Montgomery Country Club Women’s Intercollegiate hosted by Huntingdon College (Ala.) on Sep. 28 and 29 at the 5,806-yard, par-72 Montgomery Country Club course.

The team of five freshmen ended the tournament with a total score of 643 strokes (321-322). The winners, Centre College (Ky.), had a strong first day, shooting 294. On the second day, Centre shot 18 over par and finished with a total score of 600. The No. 11 nationally-ranked Methodist University (N.C.) finished just short of Centre with 603 shots (304-299). No. 4 Rhodes College (Tenn.) placed third with 604 (305-299). To round out the rest of the top five, No.13 Washington and Lee University (Va.) recorded a score of 614 (302-312) and No.12 Oglethorpe University (Ga.) finished with 627 (312-315).

Coach Katie Futcher felt that that team was performing well but still had room for improvement, specifically in how Emory golfers approach their shots.

“I think we can get better at eliminating our silly mistakes and have better course management,” Futcher said. “Our players are aware [of] that, and they made great adjustments from the first tournament.”

Ksheera Jalakam led the Eagles with a total of 151 strokes, good for 11th place overall. Alice Acosta and Jessie Ji had the most birdies for Emory, both recording four. Ji tied for 17th place with 157 strokes, while Acosta tied for 35th with 164 strokes. Lillian Knetter and Amisha Singh made their collegiate debuts, finishing in 53rd and 58th place, respectively.

Futcher praised the top-20 performances of Jalakam and Ji.

“Both of [Jalakam’s and Ji’s] performances were really impressive,” said Futcher. “With the team being so young, those performances are very encouraging.” 

Jalakam felt that the team will be able to improve on their start with more practices and further preparation.

“Heading into this tournament, we didn’t have as many practices,” said Jalakam. “We’re [going to] have more of a practice schedule [and] try and focus on course management, wedge shots and putting.”

The Eagles will continue their first year of play at the Laurel Valley Invitational at the Laurel Valley Golf Club in Ligonier, Pa. on Oct. 7 and 8.