Senior Kenya Sei competes in weight throw at the Emory Crossplex Showdown on Jan. 14. (Courtesy of Kenya Sei)

Senior thrower Kenya Sei has been on a historic run this season for Emory University’s men’s track and field team, breaking his own program record in the weight throw three times in the span of a month. Sei also competes in discus, shot put and hammer throw, the last in which he also holds the program record.

Sei placed second in the weight throw at the Emory Crossplex Showdown on Jan. 14 with a mark of 16.52 meters, which at the time was a new personal best and program record. He followed up with a second place finish and a mark of 16.93 meters at the Camel City Invitational in Winston-Salem, N.C. on Jan. 26. Sei broke his previous mark yet again, throwing a remarkable 17.43 meters at the Samford Bulldog Open in Birmingham, Ala. on Feb. 10.

Growing up in Portland, Ore., Sei said he played a sport during every semester in high school. His older brother, Juma Sei, ran track in high school and went on to compete at Yale University (Conn.), so Sei naturally picked up track as well. However, instead of being a sprinter like his brother, Sei took the field as a thrower and participated in multiple field events, including the weight, hammer, discus and shot put.

While undergoing college athletics recruitment, the prospect of pursuing pre-medical studies as a student-athlete excited Sei, which he attributed as partly the reason why Emory stood out to him.

“When I visited, I loved the campus,” Sei said. “It was in Atlanta, which I really liked, and it was close to a city.”

Sei’s first year at Emory was anything but normal for a college student. He did not have a track and field season because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Instead of taking his foot off the gas, Sei said he took advantage of the additional time that he would have ordinarily spent in training by getting ahead on his coursework. By doing this, he set himself up to be able to put more emphasis on his athletics this year.

Sei said that he has been able to progress because he enjoys the training and does a lot of it even on his own.

“I like throwing; I like lifting,” Sei said. “I was in the weight room before I started some sports, and so I started off of working out, and then that channeled into sports.”

Apart from his exemplary performance at meets, Sei’s teammates see him as a leader and a role model inside and outside of practice. Junior thrower Jalen Nixon said Sei is an amazing athlete who has taught him a lot by leading by example.

“He works very, very, very, very hard at his craft to be the best he can be,” Nixon said. “He’s consistently the first one into the weight room, the last one out … I’ve truthfully never seen him take a rep off.”

Track and Field Assistant Coach Karl Nyholm has worked with Sei for three years and seen his progression through many seasons and different events. Nyholm said he was not surprised to see Sei’s accomplishments this season and thinks Sei could have a “really special year.”

“Ultimately, it’s his work ethic,” Nyholm said. “He doesn’t take himself too seriously, but when it’s time to practice, that’s all he needs to focus on … He took [his weightlifting] up a step, and I think that’s starting to pay dividends as well.”

Nyholm also praised Sei’s personal qualities that he has observed in practice.

“He’s very coachable,” Nyholm said. “Generally, he’s just a really positive guy to have around. Every practice, it seems like he’s always calling out to somebody walking by, or somebody calling out to him. He’s a presence on campus.”

Nixon said Sei’s leadership inspires his teammates to work harder, be the best version of themselves, and most importantly, do things the right way.

“When Kenya has something to say, we all listen because we know he’s coming from the place of wanting to see the best out of all of us,” Nixon said. “He’s not really doing this for recognition or accolades. It’s more sort of genuine love and care for both the sport and us as people.”

Off the field, Sei is heavily involved in other extracurriculars. He is part of the American Medical Student Association and Standing Committee on Reproductive Health, Equity and Society, and he does research at a lab on campus. Sei is also involved with the Black Student Alliance, Black & Latinx in STEM, African Students Association and Zuri African Dance Troupe. Sei has told Nixon that time management has been crucial for balancing all of his commitments.

“He’s taught me a lot about how to balance track with external commitments,” Nixon said. “He’s very dedicated to African culture spaces on campus and participates in lots of ways.”

Sei has built a strong legacy at Emory. Most recently, he was inducted into the 100 Senior Honorary, which recognizes some of the most outstanding seniors at the University. Sei expressed how grateful he was to be selected for this honor.

“I have a bunch of friends who also have gotten Senior Honorary, and I know the work that they’ve put into this campus,” Sei said. “It felt like a lot of people who were deserving of recognition were being recognized, and to be amongst that group was pretty cool.”

Nyholm said the team is pushing hard this season towards their goal of winning titles, something they were very close to last year. Although Sei has already accomplished a lot in his final season, he has no plans of slowing down.

“I expected myself to be pushing the mark more and more and more,” Sei said. “I just want to see what I could get by the end of the season, and outdoor season is still yet to come, so I’m hoping to push my mark in outdoor season even more.”