Jessie Satovsky/Staff Illustrator

Emory University’s art scene is robust, bustling with activity in almost every medium and genre. Whether you are looking for something to watch, create or collaborate on, getting involved in the arts can be overwhelming. To help, below are a few ways to participate in the arts at Emory. The campus is your oyster!

1. ArtsLab

Want to take a study break and make art? Invite your friends and grab a table at ArtsLab to create some wallet-friendly projects. Located on the second floor of Cox Hall, ArtsLab offers free craft resources and art supplies, including canvases, paints, embroidery thread and jewelry beads. The lab is open from noon to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and noon to 5 p.m. on Friday.

2. Emory Cinematheque

Organized by the film and media department, Emory Cinematheque hosts free film screenings every week. The fall 2023 series is curated by Assistant Professor of Film and Media Timothy Holland and will showcase works by David Lynch, a surrealist filmmaker known for “Twin Peaks” (1990). This film series is perfect for anyone looking to bridge into experimental cinema or those who appreciate the strange and bizarre.

3. Schwartz Center for Performing Arts 

The Schwartz Center for Performing Arts hosts many events showcasing student dancers and classical music performers, including Emory Dance Company performances, Emory University Symphony Orchestra concerts, senior showcases and Emory Jazz Fest. The Schwartz Center also hosts professional performers. Midori, who is a renowned violinist, the Atlanta Master Chorale and the National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine will perform at the Schwartz Center this year.

Events at the Schwartz Center are usually not free. However, students often get discounted tickets, which typically range from $7 to $15. Tip: For the discounted price, be sure to buy tickets in person at the box office.

4. Michael C. Carlos Museum

Located on the Quadrangle, the Michael C. Carlos Museum is open to the public and free for all Emory students. Their permanent collection features artwork from Africa, Asia and the Americas, including some prehistoric works. Every few months, the museum introduces a temporary exhibition. The next special exhibit, “You Belong Here: People, Place, and Purpose in Latinx Photography,” opens Sept. 9 and closes Dec. 3.

The Carlos Museum also hosts “Student Studios,” which are monthly workshops where students make art with provided supplies and are given tours of related collections.

5. Woolford B. Baker Woodland Sculptures

Public arts fill the area surrounding the Carlos Museum and Rich Memorial Building. The sculptures’ subject matter ranges from abstract, geometric pieces to everyday objects and naturalistic depictions of real people, such as Robert W. Woodruff. Their location in nature enhances the sculptures’ appeal.

The Baker Woodlands, where some of the sculptures are located, are filled with lush greenery and paved with walkways for students to enjoy. I have spent many afternoons with my headphones on, exploring the small slices of woodland available on campus.

Alexandra Kauffman (26C) is an English & Creative Writing major from Phoenix, Arizona. At the Wheel, she is an Emory Life section editor and Arts & Entertainment campus desk. Outside of the wheel, she is a member of Alloy Literary Magazine. She is also a science fiction enthusiast and enjoyer of the bizarre.