Oxford College shuttle services opened a new route to Covington Square, a popular tourist destination only a five-minute drive from Emory’s Oxford campus. Starting this fall, the shuttles leave from the Oxford shuttle stop to Covington Square every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2:50 p.m.. Additionally, the College plans to provide more shuttle times for special event days. Please note: you need to sign up for the shuttles on the Oxford Transportation Services website before jumping on one of them. 

Most students may know Covington Square as the filming location of the famous supernatural drama TV series “The Vampire Diaries.” The square provides the immersive experience of a Mystic Falls tour to take visitors into the world of the vampires. 

The beauty of the site extends far beyond the past and stretches into modern day. Here is an overview of the fresh events held in Covington Square for students to visit through September and October, some of which are accessible on the new shuttle route. From music events to farmers markets and volunteer activities, Oxford weekends can be colorful as those in the city, too!

Covington Farmers Market

Time: Sept. 9 – Oct. 14, Saturdays, 9 a.m.

Location: 1143 Oak Street S.E.

Transportation: Covington Square shuttle route

The farmers market at the Welcome Center at Heirloom Park can be a great place to find food when you want a break from the dining hall. Offering everything from home-grown ingredients to fresh-baked bread and cookies, the market can always spark the inspiration for your next meal. 

Browse a selection of fresh flowers and other plants that can make for good company in your dorm. For Oxford students new to the Covington area, the market offers a great chance to make connections with the locals. 

Live at Legion Concert

Time: Sept. 8 and Oct. 13, 7 p.m.

Location: 3173 Mill Street N.E.

Transportation: Newton Plaza shuttle route loops to Covington Square 5-6:10p.m. and 9:30-10p.m.

Supported by the Newton County Arts Association, the free concert features the tribute band Purple Xperience on Sept. 8. Their performance will include tributes to the iconic musician Prince. On Oct. 13, singer-songwriter Prisca & Friends will bring their unique pieces to the concert series.

Final Friday Flicks

Time: Sept. 29 and Oct. 27, 6 p.m.

Location: Square Center

On Sept. 29, you can sing along with the two musical movies “Frozen” (2013) and “Mamma Mia!” (2008). Release a week of stress by singing with friends from Newton County! To fit the Halloween theme, the October event will screen two Halloween movies, “Goosebump 2: Haunted Halloween” and “Hocus Pocus” (1993). Enjoy a screaming night!

Live at Lunch Concert

Time: Oct. 5 – Oct. 26, Thursdays, 12 p.m. 

Location: Square Center

Transportation: 10 min bike or 40 min walk

Although Oxford does not provide shuttles to Covington Square on Thursdays, the picnic event can also be a good choice of entertainment if you do not have too many classes and can take out 30-40 minutes (one-way) to walk or 15 minutes (one-way) to bike there (Oxford provides free bike rentals). A picnic on a sunny day with gentle music performed by Newton County Arts Association can provide a great break from work.

Trick or Treat on the Trail

Time: Oct. 31, 4:30 p.m.

Location: 3173 Mill Street at Legion Field

Transportation: Trick or Treat on the Trail and Conyers Commons shuttle route

To really feel the Halloween spirit, attendees can wear costumes and join Trick or Treating on the Legion Field on Halloween night. The event has seen a lot of children from the community in past years, so it will be a very lively event with laughter and energy. Last year, Volunteer Oxford joined the event, where they handed out candy to Newton County kids, spreading joy in the community.

Update (9/8/2023 at 4 p.m.): Specific Covington Square shuttle times have been added.

Amiee Zhao is from Shanghai, China. At the Wheel, she is Emory Life editor and a writer for multiple sections. Outside of the Wheel, she enjoys traveling and reading non-fiction. She is also involved in OxBroadway and Autism Advocacy Organization.