Emory University’s women’s basketball team had a tough game on Feb. 4 when they faced New York University (NYU), the No. 1 ranked team in the country. Having the home court advantage did not make it any easier for the Eagles, as NYU emerged victorious with an 82-46 win.

The Violets were quick to attack in the first quarter, converting a layup within the first minute of the game. The Eagles were slow to react and did not score until there were four minutes left in the quarter. Junior forward Erin Martin made a layup off an assist from junior guard Daniella Aronsky. Aronsky worked the ball up the court tirelessly into the key, but the Violets formed a formidable blockade. The Eagles did not make any other shots and ended the quarter trailing 21-2.

With a renewed vengeance, sophomore forward Katherine Martini made the first basket in the second quarter with an assist from graduate guard Claire Brock, and Martini quickly followed those two points with a free throw. NYU tried to respond but missed three shots in a row, leading to some substitutions. The Violets quickly made up for the earlier missed baskets by making a three pointer and a jump shot. Martini hit another layup followed by senior guard Izzy Munson earning a steal, resulting in a successful jump shot from junior forward Morgan Laudick. Although the Eagles outscored the Violets in the second quarter, they still had a ways to go to surpass NYU’s 34-19 lead.

Junior forward Morgan Laudick dribbles during a game against Brandeis University (Mass.) on Feb. 2. (Justin Whitening/Contributing Photographer)

The third quarter began with a flurry of player swaps, but NYU made the first shot and continued to dominate, ending the quarter with a 25 point lead. Brock was the first to add to Emory’s scoreboard in the fourth quarter, knocking down a clutch three point jump shot with six minutes left on the clock. NYU quickly came back with a jump shot of their own. Brock would score six of the nine points for Emory in that quarter with freshman guard Emma Starr also contributing two free throws.

When the final buzzer sounded, NYU came out on top with a score of 82-46 to maintain their season. While this definitely was not the Eagles’ strongest game, some highlights included Martini’s performance. This game marked Martini’s seventh start this season, and she scored nine points. Laudick said Martini’s growth in confidence this season has been ‘huge’ for their team.

“She’s been killing it for us this season,” Laudick said. “From last year, her shooter confidence has bloomed, and she’s a huge piece on our team, so I’m really happy to have her.”

The Eagles struggled on the glass in this game, losing the rebound battle to 41-21. Laudick said the women plan to work on boxing out in practice in addition to doing defensive drills and having more confidence in their shots from the get-go.

Brock also noted NYU’s rebounding. She acknowledged how many times NYU got to the free throw line and had openings for offensive rebounds.

“NYU is an extremely great team,” Brock said. “ We gave them too big of a cushion in the first quarter.”

A local girl’s basketball team was cheering on the Eagles from the stands. Decked out in free beanies and Emory basketball shirts, they supported Emory the whole time with defense chants and the macarena.

“It’s always really special when we get to have more fans coming,” Brock said.

The women’s team lost to Washington University in St. Louis (Mo.) 72-61 on Feb. 10 and will face the University of Chicago on Feb. 11 at 2 p.m.

Sasha Melamud (she/her, 27C) is from Clearwater, Florida, planning on majoring in creative writing and spanish. In her free time, Melamud enjoys being out in the fresh air, fitness, and hanging out with friends.