(Ha-tien Nguyen/Podcast Editor)

College is a time for figuring out how to live away from home, discover your passions and meet your people. It is normal to crave home-cooked food and wonder why you are not living the college life that you saw in the movies. The first few months at school can be overwhelming, so here is advice dedicated to first-years from Emory University students.

• “College is the lowest-risk period in your life to try something new — don’t fall into the trap of thinking you’re too busy, and just try things out,” Emery Hill (25C) said. During her sophomore year, Hill joined Emory University’s rock climbing club. The team quickly became one of Hill’s favorite pastimes, and it is now one of her preferred ways to de-stress. Hill works at the climbing wall at the George W. Woodruff Physical Education Center and met new friends there who share her love for climbing. She urges first-years to try new things because it is a low-cost, high-reward way to find new passions.
  • “Get good sleep,” Caitlyn Ye (26B) advised. As you schedule classes, meals, clubs, homework and seeing friends into your 24-hour day, do not forget to squeeze in some sleep. While a lack of sleep may seem manageable at first, it will quickly catch up to you. Sleep 7-9 hours to regulate your mood, prevent daytime drowsiness and improve academic performance.
  • “Talk to everyone you can during the first couple of weeks, Keshav Patel (26C) recommended. Patel recalls meeting many interesting people during his first week at Emory, and he was lucky enough to meet his best friend at Songfest. First-years often experience significant changes during the beginning of the school year as they figure out who they want to be friends with and how they want to spend their time. While experiencing these changes, Patel encourages first-years to be open to meeting new people because you never know who will become a good friend.
  • “Make sure to carve out time for your friends and things that you enjoy doing,” Brett Fortier (26B) said. As the semester progresses, it becomes more difficult to make time for friends and personal hobbies. You may even feel guilty when you choose to do something you enjoy rather than study. Although it may not seem plausible during midterms or finals season, prioritize making time for yourself, as it reduces stress and anxiety levels, according to Mental Health America.
  • “Office hours are the life hack of college — you become comfortable with your classes and build a relationship with professors,” Hill said. It may seem intimidating to approach a professor after class, but Hill encourages first-years to converse with their instructors. The University’s faculty are distinguished researchers, Pulitzer Prize winners and successful business professionals. Emory’s respected faculty can be great mentors who push you to have a deeper understanding of the class topic.
  • “Don’t be scared to talk to upperclassmen because everyone really just wants to help you out,” Ye said. It may seem intimidating to approach a junior or senior, but they are only a couple years older than you. They just went through what you are currently experiencing, so there is no better person to seek for help. Most older students are happy to offer you advice, look out for you or simply be your friend.
  • “Take advantage of clubs and all the different activities at the beginning of the year,” Patel said. He wishes he got more involved on campus during his first semester at Emory, as clubs are a great way to find community and explore new interests. With 480 clubs, performing arts groups and sports teams at Emory, there is an organization for every student’s interest.
  • “Go to class … optional attendance does not mean that you shouldn’t go,” Fortier exclaimed. Even if the syllabus states that attendance is not mandatory, Fortier said that every student should go to class. Attentively listening to lectures in class promotes engaged learning, which will take you far when studying for finals.

Sydney Song (26C, she/her) is from Barrington, Illinois, intending to major in BBA. Outside of the wheel, Song enjoys figure skating and reading memoirs. Her top two artists consist of an interesting duo: Taylor Swift and John Mayer.