“Black-ish” star Yara Shahidi will be the keynote speaker at Emory University’s 42nd annual Jimmy Carter Town Hall on Nov. 6. Shahidi is also the main actress and executive producer of “black-ish” spinoff “Grown-ish” and starred as the first Black Tinker Bell in Disney’s live adaptation of “Peter Pan & Wendy.” The town hall is open to all Emory students.

The Carter Town Hall began in 1982 when former U.S. President Jimmy Carter was named a University Distinguished Professor. Carter, who celebrated his 99th birthday while in hospice care on Oct. 1, spoke at the first 38 town halls before missing the event in 2020 due to brain surgery. He was also unable to attend in 2021 and 2022.

Courtesy of CAA

Shahidi received the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for her role in “Black-ish.” in 2015. She also received three nominations for NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series for her role in “Grown-ish.” Time also named her one of the 30 most influential teens in 2016. 

Outside of television, Shahidi is an activist. She founded WeVoteNext, formerly named Eighteen x 18, which is a platform that encourages young people to vote and helps voters understand their ballot. Shahidi also established Yara’s Club in partnership with the Young Women’s Leadership Network of New York. This organization provided online education mentorship in an effort to eliminate poverty. 

Former first lady Michelle Obama noticed Shahidi’s activism and wrote her a letter of recommendation for college. Shahidi graduated from Harvard University (Mass.) in 2022 with a degree in interdisciplinary sociology and Black American studies. 

In a news release announcing Shahidi’s selection for this role, University President Gregory Fenves recognized the actress for her TV performances and humanitarian efforts. 

“She has brilliantly displayed both ambition and heart — the qualities that define our Emory community — and I know our students look forward to hearing her poignant and hopeful message,” Fenves said.

Beginning in 2014, “Black-ish” is a sitcom that revolves around an upper-middle-class Black family. The show concluded in 2022 after eight seasons. “Black-ish” stars Anthony Anderson as “Dre” who struggles with raising a family with kids that are more privileged than “Dre” was growing up. The show dealt with issues of race and police brutality in a family-friendly format. 

Grown-ish” began in 2018 as a spin-off of “Black-ish,” centered around Shahidi’s character going to college and learning to live “outside the nest.” The final season of “Grown-ish” will conclude in 2024.

Carter’s grandson, former Georgia state senator and 2014 Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter, spoke at the 2020 town hall, followed by former Atlanta Mayor and United Nations Ambassador Andrew Young in 2021. U.S. women’s national soccer team star Megan Rapinoe gave the keynote speech at last year’s town hall, marking the first time a woman was selected for the task.

Correction (10/4/2023 at 3:17 p.m.): A previous version of this story stated that the Carter Town Hall is only open to first-year students. It is in fact open to all Emory students. 

Editor-in-Chief | Matthew Chupack (he/him, 24C) is from Northbrook, Illinois, majoring in sociology & religion and minoring in community building & social change on a pre-law track. Outside of the Wheel, Chupack serves on the Emory College Honor Council, is vice president of Behind the Glass: Immigration Reflections, Treasurer of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society and an RA in Dobbs Hall. In his free time, he enjoys trying new restaurants around Atlanta, catching up on pop culture news and listening to country music.