Emory University is allowing students to stay on the Atlanta campus over winter break for the first time this year. For the past 15 years, students could only register to stay on the University’s Clairmont campus, according to Senior Director of Housing Operations Elaine Turner. 

Winter housing registration opens today for students who have a spring 2024 housing agreement and are residing on Emory’s Atlanta or Clairmont campuses. Turner announced this change to housing policy in an email to students last month. Applications will close on Dec. 6.

This year’s winter housing program will help support students who may face large expenses to fly back home, according to Senior Associate Director of Academic Advising for International Students Frank Gaertner. At the time of publication, the cheapest round trip flights to Beijing, China and Seoul, South Korea — the two most common home countries for Emory’s international student population — for winter break cost $2,613 and $2,945, respectively, according to Expedia.

Campus Life Executive Director of Communications and Strategic Initiatives Sara Tanner added that students can stay over the entire break, which lasts from Dec. 16 to Jan. 14, 2024, or return to campus early.

However, Tim Yau (27C) explained that the policy was announced too late for some international students. Yau, who is from Taiwan, already booked his flight home and said he would have considered staying on campus if he knew about the program sooner.

“Maybe it would be better if it was announced earlier because sometimes when you order tickets you can’t really get a refund,” Yau said.

Emory students who live on the Atlanta Campus can live on campus this winter break. (Jack Rutherford/ Senior Staff Photographer)

Xinyi Wang (26C), who is from China, is traveling to Canada over break. She did not consider staying on campus, but noted that the policy will benefit students who decide to stay. Sigma Delta Tau Community Advisor Shaina Ginsberg (24C) expressed a similar sentiment, saying that some students have unique experiences that may not be considered when shutting down the campus.

“It’s more accommodating of students who for whatever reason may think that the best choice for them is to stay on campus,” Ginsberg said.

Resident advisors (RAs) can choose to work over the break and will be paid $60 and 25 Dooley Dollars on the days they have shifts, according to an Oct. 23 email sent to all Atlanta campus RAs obtained by the Wheel. She said nine RAs signed up to work during this period as of press time. This includes Ginsberg, who decided to stay on campus because she has friends and family in Atlanta and wants to make money to save up for medical school.

Tanner wrote that an “on-duty team member” will be available to support students in residence halls over break 24/7. The Counseling and Psychological Services, TimelyCare and the Emory Police Department will also be available. There will be scheduled maintenance services during this time, though some facilities may be closed, Tanner added.

Alabama Hall RA Nina Chi (24C), who is from Taiwan, decided to stay on campus for winter break largely due to flight costs.

Additionally, Chi said she can act as a resource for other international students who are staying at Emory over the break.

“Whenever they need help, they can reach out to me,” Chi said. “It’s really nice that they have another option to stay in the States without worrying where they have to stay and if it’s a safe space or if there’s a lot of planning that they have to do for staying here in the winter.”

Wang and Yau raised concerns about staying at Emory in the winter, such as limited dining options.

The Dobbs Common Table and Cox Hall food court will not be open during winter break. Instead, Gaertner wrote that the Eagle Emporium in the Emory Student Center and the Clairmont Cafe located in the Student Activity and Academic Center will provide dining services. The University will cater food for students on holidays when the Eagle Emporium and Clairmont Cafe are closed, Gaertner added.

In addition, Wang and Yau pointed out that it might be lonely staying on campus over break since there will be fewer social events. Hamilton Holmes RA Andrew Choi (24C), who is traveling for the break, said that although there are advantages to staying in an emptier dorm, such as having more freedom, he agrees isolation may be difficult.

“That social aspect is one reason why we enjoy living in dorms,” Choi said. “I could foresee some issues of loneliness or homesickness for sure, but that is just the case whenever you move away from home.”

However, Tanner said that there will be engagement opportunities during the break for students. Chi said she wants to host a Friendsgiving dinner for Christmas or New Year’s and collaborate with other RAs staying on campus to host larger events over break. Ginsberg added that she may host small dinners or movie nights with her residents.

“We can include more students to join and make it … very welcoming and inclusive for all the students from different cultural backgrounds, and just feel a sense of community when they’re far away from home,” Chi said.

RAs are also trained in mental health first aid, which prepares them to help students who may be struggling with loneliness and connect them with resources, Ginsberg added.

Students who stayed over the break will get the chance to fill out a survey to provide feedback about their experiences in January, which the University will use to evolve and enhance the programs and services, according to Tanner. 

Complex Hall RA Luis Ciriaco (25C) said although there may be difficulties staying on campus, he believes it is a process of “trial and error.”

“If it works, it works,” Ciriaco said. “If it doesn’t, well, at least they tried rather than just assuming.”

Editor-in-Chief Matthew Chupack (24C) is a resident advisor and had no role in writing or editing this article.