Graduate defender Thomas Toney dribbles past against Washington and Lee University on Sept. 2. (Natalie Sandlow/Staff)

The Emory University men’s soccer team had lofty expectations heading into the 2022 season after finishing the 2021 season with a record of 9-4-5 and reaching the second round of the 2021 NCAA Division III Men’s Soccer Championship. Although the team finished the 2022 season with a strong home record of 5-2-2, they placed seventh in the University Athletic Association (UAA) with a record of 5-8-5 and did not make the NCAA tournament. According to senior forward Alejandro Gomez, the squad wants to improve their record and qualify for the 2023 national tournament.  

Gomez, who is entering his fifth year at Emory, touched on how last season’s disappointing results are motivating the team to improve, and this season, they are especially focusing on team camaraderie.

“Talent shows itself,” Gomez said. “We have a very talented group. We had a very talented group last year as well, but I think the difference maker this year is really going to be the culture, the team and the friendships.”

Despite losing nine seniors from last season, the team has 15 new players, which include 11 freshmen and four transfers from NCAA Division I schools and local DIII rival Oglethorpe University (Ga.). Sophomore midfielder Josh Grand said that the team played pick-up soccer games over the summer and came to Emory 10 days before preseason to get a headstart on team bonding.

For senior goalkeeper Peter Wagner, the time before preseason was an opportunity to help everyone connect.

“We did a bunch of captain’s practices this summer,” Wagner said. “Just spending time together before school starts, before other students are on campus, when it’s just us,  definitely builds everybody closer. We’re all living together, eating together, hanging out 24/7. That definitely builds chemistry on and off the field.”

In addition to improving team dynamic, Grand said the preseason also helped the team work on the mental and strategic sides of the game.

“We’re really having a holistic approach to try to figure out who can play where,” Grand said. “It’s falling together because when you have about 30 players, it’s all about competitiveness and pushing each other to field our best 11.”

Grand added that he hopes the underclassmen look forward to being part of the team culture that is based on teamwork and desire to win.

“I’m excited because a lot of returning players have stepped up and a lot of new players, especially some older grad transfers, have really bought into our system and are really promoting our capability to gel,” Grand said. “That’s something we missed last year with so many older seniors who were on their way out — they weren’t as bonded with the whole team dynamic.”

Having had two seasons affected by COVID-19, Gomez said the team has changed a lot since he was a freshman in 2019. The biggest change, though, has been the expectations from the program itself.

“The standards have risen season after season in terms of the commitment we expect from players and the quality of players and your physical preparedness and your mental preparedness as well and how much you’re willing to sacrifice for the team,” Gomez said.

In 2022, the Eagles scored 23 goals, 14 of which were scored by Gomez, Grand and forward Zach Kornblum (23B). Grand said the squad’s strategy last year was based on defense rather than offense, and they are hoping to change that this season.

“We’re looking to score more goals this year,” Grand said. “We’ve switched up our formation a bit, thrown a few more bodies forward, and I think we’re [a] much more attack-minded team this year.”

As a goalie, Wagner hopes the whole team can adjust to the new attack-minded formation.

“Our most important thing right now for playing a new formation this year is just how we can stay organized defensively and make sure everybody knows when they’re supposed to be in the right position,” Wagner said.

Grand and Gomez said they expect strong competition from many teams in the UAA, but they are keeping a close eye on the University of Chicago, specifically. Last season, the Maroons had a record of 22-0-1, won the 2022 NCAA DIII Championship and are currently ranked No. 1 in the nation.

“They had an incredible season last year,” Gomez said.”That’s really going to be a test for us because their season last year is the level that we strive for and that we want to be at.”

The Eagles began their season with a 0-0 tie against Covenant College (Ga.) on Sept. 1 and a 0-0 tie against Washington and Lee University (W&L) (Va.) on Sept. 2.

Wagner, who had three saves against Covenant College and five saves against W&L, said the team appreciates the fans who come out to support all their “hard work.”

“Any support, we just absolutely love to have,” Wagner said. “I remember one game when a bunch of swimmers came out with a bunch of kickboards and started banging them. They were lining up all around the sidelines. They just completely changed the atmosphere of the game and motivated the players so much more.”

The Eagles’ next home game is on Sept. 20 at 7:30 p.m. against Birmingham-Southern College (Ala.).

Senior defender Sebastian Rincon throws in the ball against Washington and Lee on Sept. 2. (Natalie Sandlow/Staff)

Clement Lee (he/him) (24Ox) is from Virginia Beach, Virginia, and is on the pre-BBA track. Outside the Wheel, Clement can be found reading new books or going on long runs in the woods.