It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s … not Henry Cavill! Despite the good-looking Brit’s departure from the role of the quintessential all-American superhero, things are certainly looking up for the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). Following a long series of uncoordinated and frankly disappointing projects under Walter Hamada, the former president of DC Films,  James Gunn and film producer Peter Safran are taking the reins of a franchise that has long needed a resurrection.

James Gunn speaking at 2016 Comic Con// Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Gage Skidmore

Before I jump into why you should be excited, and you should be, let’s discuss what’s been happening in the oxymoron that is the Warner Bros creative department. Beginning with Zack Snyder’s “Man of Steel” (2013), the DCEU started off relatively strong. Despite backlash from fans who expected a more lighthearted Superman and less Snyder adrenaline, the film is not too sacrilegious, especially with strong acting from Cavill. However, after “Man of Steel,” mediocrity and a lack of creative direction befell the wonderful characters of DC Comics.

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” (2016), “Suicide Squad” (2016) and “Justice League” (2017) are notoriously considered some of the worst superhero movies of all time. Even with nearly a century of source material to work with, these blockbusters failed to capture the basic essence of any of the characters. The dialogue is laughable, the villains are forgettable and Batman uncharacteristically breaks Kantian ethics, murdering goons left and right. However, the most detrimental aspect of these films is their failure to connect with one another, as the world-building is nonexistent. Unfortunately for Warner Bros, their competitors over at Disney have had much better luck in this department.

In spite of a recent quantity-over-quality issue surrounding the Marvel properties, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige knows how to get butts into seats. As of June 2022, the MCU has grossed more than $26 billion. When compared to DC’s embarrassing $6 billion, one has to wonder if having a creative director who actually reads the comic books he puts to screen is the key to success. Marvel has had a substantial head start having begun their universe back in 2008, so when DC attempted to catch up, they failed to meet Marvel’s level of success. 

This is where the new DC regime comes in. James Gunn wrote and directed Marvel’s hilarious, heart-wrenching “Guardians of the Galaxy” (2014-2023) films, with the third entry of the franchise slated to release on May 5. Although the Guardians of the Galaxy are a relatively unknown team to the comic book novice, Gunn made the ragtag, miscreant family accessible to a wider audience. He did the same for DC’s “The Suicide Squad” (2021)—not to be confused with the dumpster fire that introduced Jared Leto’s Joker—which was so successful that it spawned a TV series starring John Cena’s character, “Peacemaker.” 

In a short video released by DC’s official account, James Gunn details what the future of the DCEU will look like. He described the former DCEU as “disconnected,” and explained that one of the main goals of the cinematic universe’s revitalization is to ensure “characters are consistent.” However, Gunn was a bit blunter outside the sandbox of the DC media accounts, claiming in a press conference that the team in charge of the DCEU was “giving away IP like they were party favors at any creator who smiled at them.” Strong words, but Gunn may be able to put his money where his mouth is.

The first chapter of the new universe, titled “Gods and Monsters,” is comprised of films, TV shows and animated projects. The entries look promising in the show department, including a true detective style, Green Lantern adventure, adequately named “Lanterns,” and a Wonder Woman prequel drama focusing on the political strife in Themyscira, titled “Paradise Lost.” The true DC comic enthusiasts will also be happy that Booster Gold will finally be getting his very own live-action treatment, a time-traveling hero with a serious case of impostor syndrome. However, the movies are where the new universe shines.

The first entry of the first chapter’s films will be titled “Superman: Legacy” (2025). Gunn seems to be learning from the mistakes of his predecessors and sticking to the source material, as “Legacy” will be heavily inspired by the fan-favorite, “All-Star Superman” (2005-2008) twelve-issue comic series, written by Grant Morrison. Also on the Morrison train, “The Brave and the Bold,” a Batman-Robin story heavily inspired by the comic writer’s legendary run, is set to release sometime in 2026 or 2027. A Supergirl and Swamp Thing film are in the works, along with a lesser-known superteam, “The Authority,” also receiving the film treatment.

Unfortunately, the rest of the Warner Bros sludge still has to be released before we get to the Gunn-Safran reign. “Shazam: Fury of the Gods,” “Blue Beetle” and “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” will all be released this year, along with “The Flash.” Despite Ezra Miller’s best efforts, yes “The Flash” is still happening, meant to end the current DCEU continuity, bringing us into “Gods and Monsters.”

Frankly, I’m ecstatic. Like many people, I grew up on the DC characters, watching the excellent animated projects and reading some of the best stories ever put to page. Thankfully, creativity is finally trumping corporate greed over at Warner Bros, so fans like me can truly believe in a DC cinematic franchise, one where Superman isn’t a depressed edge lord, but altruistic and good-hearted, and where Batman does not murder and brand people, but simply puts them into a coma. The DC renaissance is here and I’m excited to be along for the ride.