Oli Turner/Managing Editor

Your first year at Emory University will set you up for an entire lifetime. For the artistically inclined, it is important to hit the ground running. Between creative writing, live music, dance, film and television, a cappella, art history and more, there is no shortage of art-related clubs on campus. To start, browse through this sample.

Creative writing

The Emory Pulse

The Emory Pulse is an arts organization dedicated to promoting creativity and student talent. They publish the annual “Anthology,” a curated magazine of poems, artwork and photography. The Emory Pulse also organizes the semi-annual “Symposium” event, which brings together musicians, spoken word poets and dancers for a memorable evening.

Alloy

Alloy is a student-run literary and arts magazine. Past publications contain creative nonfiction, poetry, prose, photography and other visual art forms. Alloy is published annually at the end of the academic year.

Lullwater Review

Founded in 1990, Lullwater Review is a student-run literary magazine. Its annual review features poetry, prose and visual arts from current Emory students and accepts submissions from authors around the world.

Music

Emory Musician’s Network (EMN)

EMN connects Emory musicians with music equipment, performance opportunities and practice spaces. The club frequently holds on-campus open mics, semesterly “Battle of the Bands” events and network open houses. EMN has also secured a permanent practice space in the Schwartz Center for Performing Arts for students who are not majoring in music.

Emory Composers’ Society (ECS)

ECS is a network of student composers, producers and performers of all levels and interests. The society frequently holds workshops, live concert events and music showcases featuring its members.

WMRE Student Radio

Emory’s student-run radio organization engages with music, arts and culture through its radio shows, concerts and zines. Students can listen to live WMRE broadcasts through their website.

A cappella

Oxappella

Oxappella is Oxford College’s premier gender-inclusive a cappella group. The group hosts a semesterly concert and is one of the many a cappella groups that perform during the Atlanta campus’ iconic First Friday A Cappella, where student a cappella groups perform by the Emory Student Center steps on the first Friday of each month.

The Gathering A Cappella

The Gathering A Cappella is Emory’s only women+ a cappella group. They pull from an array of musical influences and have even performed at the Super Bowl, alongside other Emory a cappella groups like Dooley Noted and Aural Pleasure.

AHANA A Cappella

AHANA (Asian, Hispanic, African and Native American) A Cappella is Emory’s premier multicultural R&B a cappella group. They frequently perform on and off campus, recently, appearing at Emory’s Baccalaureate Ceremony and the 2022 Taste of Africa at the Fox Theatre.

Dance

Persuasion Dance Crew

Hip-hop meets dance with Persuasion Dance Crew, Emory’s premier women+ hip-hop group. Persuasion Dance Crew bolsters student dancers through choreography opportunities as well as expanding the dancers’ repertoire of styles.

Zuri African Dance Troupe

Zuri African Dance Troupe is Emory’s only African dance team, providing a space to uplift African dance movements. They aim to elevate the diversity of African cultures, music and dance.

Karma Bhangra

Karma Bhangra is Emory’s premier co-ed bhangra team. They showcase a wide variety of South Asian folk dance styles, including modern elements of bhangra.

Zeebah

Zeebah is Emory’s premier all-female Middle Eastern dance group. They perform many traditional Middle Eastern dances, including traditional, modern and shaabi belly dance.

Mulan Dance

Mulan Dance is the premier Chinese-style dance collective at Emory. They routinely perform several local major Chinese festivals, promoting Chinese visibility in the Atlanta community.

Student theater

Dooley’s Players

Dooley’s Players is Emory’s non-musical student theater group. Last year the group performed their takes on “Twelfth Night” and “The Wolves.”

Art

Emory Art History Club

Emory Art History Club hosts arts-related events to foster student engagement with Emory’s vibrant arts community. The club previously hosted guided tours of the Michael C. Carlos Museum, group sketching and day trips to art museums in Atlanta.

Emory Arts Club

Emory Arts Club nourishes creativity through its weekly workshops. The workshop topics cover an array of crafts, including jewelry making, painting, embroidery and sculpting.

Film and Media

Emory ETV Film Club (ETV)

ETV is dedicated to supporting student filmmakers and scriptwriters through providing resources, networking opportunities, workshops and in-person film showcases. ETV welcomes both filmmakers and appreciators with no experience.

Oxford Photography Club 

Oxford Photography Club hosts photography-related activities throughout the year. The club previously organized a stargazing night with astrophotography, a film camera workshop and an excursion to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta.

Ari Segal (he/him/his) (25C) is from Boca Raton, Florida, and majoring in Philosophy, Politics and Law (PPL). He is the Arts and Entertainment Editor at the Wheel. Outside of the Wheel, he is involved with the Emory Law School, Emory Conversation Project and the SPARK Mentorship Program. If you run into Ari, he is probably talking about music, listening to music or playing music on the guitar.