(Ha-tien Nguyen/Podcast Editor)

The fall semester is well underway. Students are in the thick of classes, assignments are racking up and midterms are just over the horizon. Be sure to step back from studying, take time for yourself and appreciate campus arts.

Balourdet Quartet with Jordan Bak

Date: Sept. 22, 8 p.m.

Location: Cherry Logan Emerson Concert Hall

Jamaican American violinist Jordan Bak will join the Balourdet Quartet, residents at the Jacobs School of Music (Ind.), for a dynamic performance exploring a variety of orchestral music. The performance will include Mozart’s String Quintet No. 3 in C major, K. 515, Mendelssohn’s String Quintet No. 2 in B-flat major, Op. 87 and Brahms’s String Quintet No. 2 in G major, Op. 111. This concert will kick off the 2023-24 Candler Concert Series.

Theater Emory: Lost Girl

Date: Sept. 28 – Oct. 1

Location: Schwartz Center for Performing Arts, Theater Lab

Written and directed by Assistant Professor of Dramatic Writing Kimberly Belflower, “Lost Girl” tells the story of J.M. Barrie’s Wendy Darling after returning from Neverland. The coming-of-age story explores themes of “first love and lasting loss.” Additionally, the play won the 2018 Kennedy Center Darrell Ayers National Playwriting Award. Emory University students can reserve up to two free tickets to the performance.

Bach’s Lunch Series: The Fantastic Flute

Date: Sept. 29, 12 p.m.

Location: First Presbyterian Church of Atlanta

American flutist, conductor and composer Ransom Wilson will join the Emory Chamber Music Society of Atlanta (ECMSA) for an afternoon of music. The program will include a variety of classical music, including Mozart, Kuhlau and more. ECMSA’s Vega Quartet, professional musicians Elizabeth Pridgen (piano), Christina Smith (flute) and James Zellers (flute) will join the performance.

Student Studio Night

Date: Sept. 29, 5 – 7 p.m.

Location: Michael C. Carlos Museum

Hosted by the Carlos Museum and Centro Latinx, this student studio offers an array of activities. From queer Latinx dance music of La Choloteca, to making art inspired by Latinx photographer William Camargo, to free food, this event offers students ways to explore the “You Belong Here: Place, People and Purpose in Latinx Photography” exhibition interactively and imaginatively.

Emerson Series: Chamber with Music

Date: Sept. 30, 8 p.m.

Location: Cannon Chapel

Hosted by ECMSA, this program will feature the works of Schubert, Vaughan Williams and more. Bethany Grace Mamola, assistant teaching professor of voice and performance techniques, and Bradley Howard, professor emeritus of voice, will sing in the chamber vocal performance.

Michael C. Carlos Museum Public Tour

Date: Oct. 1, 2 – 3 p.m.

Location: Michael C. Carlos Museum, First Floor Rotunda

Learn more about the Carlos Museum’s galleries with a docent-led tour. The permanent collections boast an impressive range of artworks, including those from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Ancient Rome and Greece, Ancient Egypt and the Near East. Public tours have a limited capacity, so be sure to arrive early. All Emory students are granted free access to the Carlos Museum.

Alexandra Kauffman (26C) is an English & Creative Writing major from Phoenix, Arizona. At the Wheel, she is an Emory Life section editor and Arts & Entertainment campus desk. Outside of the wheel, she is a member of Alloy Literary Magazine. She is also a science fiction enthusiast and enjoyer of the bizarre.