No injuries were reported in two armed robberies that occurred near Emory’s campus on Monday, Nov. 23 and Tuesday, Nov. 24, according to an all-Emory email from Vincent Dollard, associate vice president of communications at the Woodruff Health Sciences Center.

The first reported robbery occurred on the 1500 block of Clairmont Road, according to a Decatur Police Department community alert that was later emailed to the Wheel. At approximately 9:22 p.m, according to the alert, an Emory student was walking home alone when she passed a vehicle parked in the Clairmont Reserve Apartment Complex. A man emerged from the vehicle, pointed a shotgun at the student and demanded she give him her cell phone.

The next day, a robbery occurred at the intersection of North Decatur Road and Willivee Drive. Just before 10:13 p.m., according to the alert, a different female student was walking alone on the sidewalk when she passed a car parked at a stop sign. “[The student] thought it was strange because the vehicle was not turning, even though there was no traffic on North Decatur Road,” the alert read.

Once the student had crossed the street, a man emerged from the stopped vehicle and demanded her property. “She threw her purse and jacket down and ran home,” according to the alert. The man reportedly returned to the vehicle and fled the scene.

This suspect was armed with a shotgun or a rifle, according to the all-Emory email.

Although the email describes the two robberies as “similar,” it is unclear whether the incidents were linked.

emily.sullivan@emory.edu | Emily Sullivan (18C) is from Blue Bell, Pa., majoring in international studies and minoring in ethics. She served most recently as news editor. Last summer, she interned with Atlanta Magazine. Emily dances whenever she can and is interested in the relationship between journalism and human rights issues.