Police Respond to Suspicious Package in Woodruff Memorial Building

The area behind the Alumni Memorial University Center (AMUC) is closed. Alisha Compton/Managing Editor

UPDATE (3/22/18 at 11:10 a.m.): This story has been updated to reflect that Emory Police issued an all-clear alert and that normal activities have resumed at the Woodruff Memorial Building.

Emory Police Department and Atlanta Police Department’s bomb squad responded to a suspicious package in the mailroom of the Woodruff Memorial Building on Thursday morning, according to Associate Director of University Media Relations Elaine Justice.

The mailroom was evacuated, according to Justice. EPD Lt. L. H. Vaughn said that EPD cannot comment due to the ongoing “working incident.”

Police blocked off area between the Alumni University Memorial Center (AMUC) and the Woodruff Memorial Building, parts of Means Drive.

A 9:21 a.m. text message to students, faculty and staff advised them to avoid the area near the building.

Emory Police has issued an all-clear alert after a suspicious package triggered a bomb scare, according to a University-wide email sent at 9:58 a.m. The email states that normal activities have resumed.

CORRECTION (3/22/18 at 10:22 a.m.): The article previously misstated that police responded to a suspicious package on Monday morning. Police actually responded on Thursday morning.

Valerie Sandoval contributed reporting.

0 comments