Medicine

The Emory University School of Medicine Department of Pediatrics ranked fifth among pediatric departments in the United States for research funding awarded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 2013, according to a Feb. 20 University press release. The Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research reported the rankings.

This year’s ranking is up seven spots from its place at 12th in 2012.

Vice Chair of Research in the Department of Pediatrics Paul Spearman said the University’s pediatrics department emphasizes research because of the many benefits it provides.

“We want to make a long-lasting impact on the health of children,” Spearman said. “[Research] saves more lives and keeps kids healthy in another way. We also think that we can attract the best physicians and scientists to our program with robust research.”

Spearman said the money from NIH grants goes to build core laboratories and recruit new people. In addition, Spearman said that in past years, the Department of Pediatrics has undergone an “orchestrated effort” to enhance research infrastructure and expand the number of investigators on specific problems in child health.

One such effort is the formation of pediatric research “centers of excellence,” which the New York Health Commission define as health care centers that specialize in a certain area to produce better outcomes. According to the Atlanta Clinical & Translational Science Institute, Emory has collaborated in establishing centers of excellence for autism, cystic fibrosis and cardiovascular biology, among others.

Spearman said that Emory was specifically focusing on reforming the centers of excellence, particularly referencing the Center for Pediatric Innovation as an example. He said the center applies nanomedicine to pediatric problems as well as the development of new pediatric devices.

Spearman said enhancing the department’s research program also includes collaboration between Emory and Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, as well as partnerships with the Georgia Institute of Technology and the Morehouse School of Medicine.

Spearman said that despite the ranking, there is more to come.

“We’re not finished yet,” Spearman said. “We’re in the next phase of strategic planning because we think we can do even better in child health-related research. All these institutions are coming together to help plan a more robust research program to help the lives of children going forward.”

– By Harmeet Kaur