Doolina photo

Dear Doolina,

I want to wear crocs with socks because they’re comfortable. But my friends keep oppressing me. What do I do?

Sincerely,
Socked in the croc

Dear Socked in the croc,

Here’s a haiku filled to the iambic pentameter with advice:
Wear your crocs with socks
You do you and I won’t mock
Like pirate hat kid

Delightfully,
Doolina

————————————————————

Dear Doolina,

I’m going to a networking session and the dress code is business casual. WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?

Sincerely,
New to Networking

Dear New to Networking,

Congratulations! You’ve entered the world of the phonies (Holden Caufield would have some choice words for you!). Networking is a necessary evil in today’s world – well, only if you want to get a job, that is.

I’m assuming you’re asking about the female business casual dress code because males have it a lot easier in this regard (button down shirt, nice pants and decent shoes). For women, the options are plenty, and that’s where the problems start.

First of all, there’s a sort of spectrum of business casual, ranging from more casual to more business-y. A dress that’s one step up from a sundress, paired with the right jacket or cardigan can work wonderfully. You can’t go wrong with neutral colors and a pair of nice dress pants with a slightly more casual top either. I always bring some kind of jacket along with me too – you can easily make your outfit more dressy by adding a jacket, and it’s nice to have some flexibility when you’re not sure what everyone else is wearing.

When you get to the event, see what everyone’s wearing and reassess, but don’t worry. They’re really just looking to see if you have unyielding charm, a perfect GPA and a smorgasbord of extracurricular activities that are unique but still bland enough to be acceptable. Good luck!

Delightfully,
Doolina

————————————————————

Dear Doolina,

Over the summer, before arriving at Emory in the fall, I bought a whole new wardrobe. Now that I’m here, I feel like I hate everything I bought and don’t want to wear any of it. What should I do?

Sincerely,
Fashion Fanatic

Dear Fashion Fanatic,

It seems to me you have three options:
1) Embrace your natural self and become a nudist.
2) Donate and/or sell your entire wardrobe and buy a brand new set of everything.
3) Make do with what you have. College is about being resourceful, learning about yourself, and coming to terms with who you really are. Also about being cheap, because tuition is expensive. You can keep your clothes and re-work them to fit the kind of style you want, or go to a thrift store (Rag-o-Rama, Last Chance Thrift Store and Buffalo Exchange are all great choices) to reinvent your look without emptying your wallet.

In the end, it’s true that your fashion represents who you are to the world and your clothing choices do matter. But there are ways to give your wardrobe a makeover without traveling all the way to Narnia and breaking the bank.

I personally endorse option number one, but I’m a skeleton and we’re nudists to the bone.

Delightfully,
Doolina

————————————————————

Dear Doolina,

Are leggings pants? I and all other college females are dying to know.

Sincerely,
Lovin’ my leggings

Dear Lovin’ my leggins,

Yes, leggings are pants. And I’m not pulling your leg(ging) on this one.

Delightfully,
Doolina