(Jessie Satovsky/Staff Writer)

Red lights flashed as smoke flooded the stage, and Kim Petras’ voice filled the Coca-Cola Roxy on Oct. 4.

“Instead of running, I chose to face the beast, to feed the beast,” Petras proclaimed before deafening cheers from the crowd drowned her out. “But most of all, most importantly, not to fear the beast.”

Petras kicked off the “Feed the Beast World Tour” in Las Vegas on Sept. 24, following the release of her debut studio album, “Feed the Beast,” on June 23. Atlanta was her fourth stop of the tour.

Originally from Germany, Petras began releasing music in 2008, but her first Top 40 hit was “Heart to Break” (2018). The pop sensation’s music gained international attention after she released “Unholy” (2022), a collaboration with Sam Smith. Petras and Smith were awarded the Grammy for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for the song, making Petras the first transgender woman to win the award.

Petras is very open about her identity as a transgender woman. She transitioned when she was 16 and often discusses the challenges she has faced as a result of her identity.

The singer has steadfastly advocated for for viewing people based on their commitment and character rather than their gender or other labels. Petras’ openness has made her an inspirational figure to her fans.

Alex Chapman opened for Petras, playing upbeat pop music to warm up the crowd. The DJ built up the energy for the main event with sing-along pop classics like “When I Grow Up” (2008) by the Pussycat Dolls and “I’m Good (Blue)” (2022) by David Guetta and Bebe Rexha.

The crowd was antsy with anticipation as the room darkened and dancers began to appear on the stage. Red and white lights flashed as a coffin arose from behind the stage. Music blared from the speakers as the coffin opened to reveal Petras, and the crowd went wild.

The “Feed the Beast” set was full of bright lights and flashy dance moves, with three dancers accompanying Petras on the stage for most of the performance. Her songs all have an upbeat, sex-positive energy that caused the crowd to jump and sing along at the top of their lungs.

While Petras did not talk to the crowd much between songs, she did not need to — everyone was fully tuned into the music, energetic performance and stunning outfits. Each song tied into a captivating story that had the crowd hungering for more as Petras seamlessly transitioned from one song to the next.

The artist walked across the stage, waving at fans and captivating them with stunning stage graphics. Petras’ backup dancers leapt around the stage, acting out exciting scenes in time with the singer and her music. The energy in the room was electric; it seemed like the crowd knew the words to every song.

Petras’ performance also incorporated Halloween-themed elements, with angel, devil, heaven and hell imagery. At one point, Petras literally danced with the devil — or at least a dancer in a devil costume — causing the crowd to go wild with cheering. Petras also performed her Halloween-themed mixtape “TURN OFF THE LIGHT” (202o), adding to the spooky atmosphere.

As the concert progressed, the atmosphere changed: Slowly, the lights, stage designs and costumes became lighter and more angelic. Toward the end of the show, Petras played “Castle In The Sky” off her latest album, wearing a glimmering white dress under a halo of white lights.

In addition to “Feed the Beast,” Petras released another album “Problématique” on Sept. 18. She wrote the album during the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown and performed the title track to a cheering crowd who loudly sang along.

Petras left the stage for a short break before returning to perform “Alone,” a recent hit collaboration with Nicki Minaj.

The show’s final set featured rainbow and heart graphics flashing on the stage. Petras ended the concert by singing her iconic hit “Heart to Break,” prompting an emotional and energetic response from the audience.

“I love you so much … I’m gonna be smiling for months,” Petras said as she left the stage. In the singer’s wise words from “Heart to Break,” “no one else could do it better.” This is certainly true of Kim Petras: No one else could put on a better show.

Jessie Satovsky (26C, she/her) is from San Francisco, California, and is studying international relations and environmental science. Outside of the Wheel, Satovsky is the Secretary of Plastic Free Emory and volunteers with the Atlanta Urban Debate League. She loves chocolate, reading, and spending time in nature.